Why become a member? ×

Could anyone refinish this for me please?

MarkG3

Hello just wondering if anyone on here could do a refinish for me in nitro in black?

[IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/D58DF29A-361E-4A1F-8CD3-BC3761E3B6C6-14038-00000B2262EAEFBB.jpg[/IMG]

About a month or so ago I got the bass out of its case to find a nice big dent and crack in the finish and a nice chunk of finish came away.

I've since sanded lightly round the edges to make it smooth and luckily the wood doesn't seem to of been damaged.

I'm all for the road worn look but it mysteriously happened while in the case........so it doesn't have a decent story to go with it.

Thanks

Lol at the sharpie,

Definitely I'm all for character but the finish is so thick on this thing it feels and looks un-natural. If it had been made while I was playing it and was the cause of some epic moment on stage I would happily live with it.

Thanks for the replies so far :)

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1355319110' post='1896835']... I got the bass out of its case to find a nice big dent and crack in the finish and a nice chunk of finish came away. .... it mysteriously happened while in the case..[/quote]
Allow me to be the first to suggest you buy a new case. Sounds like you have some seriously vicious pixies living in your current one!

Btw, £130 sounds like a really good price for stripping poly and refinishing. I remember reading on the Manchester Guitar Tech site that if you wanted him to re-fin your guitar, it would be cheaper to trade your current one in for another in the right colour.

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1355323726' post='1896931']
Terry Chapman, of TJC Guitars in Stevenage did a refinish in nitro for me. Stripped a black poly Precision, refinished in white nitro, £150.
[/quote]

I fully endorse this one - he refinished my old Mustang bass on the Lozz recommendation.
Superb job, reasonable price and a good guy to deal with.

Edited by Jazzneck

[quote name='S9_S12_Bass' timestamp='1355319110' post='1896835']

I'm all for the road worn look but it mysteriously happened while in the case........so it doesn't have a decent story to go with it.

[/quote]

Unless you found the little black chip in the case, is this someone 'just having a quick go' of your bass which then went wrong?

No it was sadly my own doing which I did in an unhealthy anger burst, slammed my boot shut only for it to hit the case...............I didn't open the case for about a month so I could pretend to myself that it wasn't my fault :(

I've been emailing the relicing place and he's shown me some previous stuff he's done on a Dirnt bass and I think it's really tastefully done, still waiting to hear back from the other guy in Stevenage

Rather than have someone wear the finish of your bass out for you, if it was mine, I would be putting it down to use (which isn't a bad thing) and be expecting some more marks and knocks. I'd be far less furious if it was me that marked my bass than if it was someone else!

You'd certainly know which is your bass in the future, the mark will be visible in all pictures of you and easily recognised, become rather part of your trademark! When you're famous the Fender S9 S12 model will feature a copy of this dig! For me, things like this make the instrument (or whatever it is) more 'mine' and comfortable. I understand we're all not the same though!

Resale is, of course, affected, but getting it 'relicked' will surely limit any market for it anyway. (again, personal opinion, I'd happily pay a little less for a bass with a dig from use, I can't see I'd ever be in the market for a 'relicked' bass).

[IMG]http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r569/S9_S12_Bass/B65FD61A-E436-4F78-B939-18B327319813-7944-00000693ED7EDDDB.jpg[/IMG]

Ultimately I would like it in nitro finish as I don't like poly, so I guess although I like relicing the rest of the finish would still be in poly.

For the people who have used TJC how quick was it to be completed?

I really don't mind knocks and dings as my Highway One has loads, this one gets to me as the finish is so thick it looks and feels uncomfortable when I play

And I would love to one day see my own signature Fender :D

Edited by S9_S12_Bass

Nail polish is nitrocellulose laquer. It would work but it's much easier and probably cheaper to get some rattle can black from manchester guitar tech, northwest guitars or behlen. Car filler, wet and dry (400,600,800,1000,1200), t-cut/swirl remover and microfibre cloths from halfords. Other sandpaper (120,240,320 and sanding block) from b&q and get to it. You're looking at 40-50 quid for materials. Theres millions of information and videos around the net. Try 'Sully's guitar garage'. He has loads of videos about painting and sanding/buffing. Dont use a drill for buffing though! Do it by hand!

Obviously if you want a professional finish you would have to strip the lot and finish from scratch as poly doesn't spot fix very well (I never use it so I'm no expert though so it may work). Some finishes don't need/like sanding. Enamels and maybe poly too, go on very flat and just require buffing, initially with wire wool to remove any peaks. You would need to fill the hole first though fo sho.

Edited by lettsguitars