Why become a member? ×

I'VE HAD ENOUGH-Feckin singers,MY Arse

LeftyBiskit

[quote name='Truckstop' timestamp='1355517223' post='1899630']
Yeah that OP is totally illegible.

So you got sacked because you humped all their gear around and had to take a taxi to gigs?

Anyway, whatever's transpired, I'm very sorry to hear about it. It's always a pain in the arse when you've spent a lot of time and effort into trying to make a band work and then it all just ends.

Hope there's better news for you soon mate!

Alex
[/quote]

Thank you . I thought it was just me who was confused.com ,)

[quote name='seashell' timestamp='1355564866' post='1899911']
Quote from our singer after our last jam night:
'I bloody hate the lights on that stage -I cant read the words off me bit of paper.'

Sez it all really.
[/quote]

If a one off, then ok.... but otherwise, deal with it to make it work.

[quote name='RockfordStone' timestamp='1355609884' post='1900653']
with so many of these posts appearing, it seems to me that us bassists are a sensible lot who put up with loads of sh*t from others
[/quote]

Or they're precious control freaks who want everything done their way.

We have three singers who are more used to being in a choir. They are learning to arrive an hour before the gig to help set up, also learning the basics of pa and now set it up for rehearsal, but last night we needed another couple of songs to stretch a wedding booking out a bit, they could only do songs for which they'd brought the words. New Year's resolution, no music stand and words, learn them!

[quote name='4 Strings' timestamp='1355648570' post='1900813']
We have three singers who are more used to being in a choir. They are learning to arrive an hour before the gig to help set up, also learning the basics of pa and now set it up for rehearsal, but last night we needed another couple of songs to stretch a wedding booking out a bit, they could only do songs for which they'd brought the words. New Year's resolution, no music stand and words, learn them!
[/quote]

How can you go through an entire set reading the words anyway? how would you know the groove or rhythm and pace of the lyrics? It just seems odd to me. I've never looked at lyrics if i'm singing a song (although i'm not a singer and have never sang in front of anybody), but even still, i listen to the song, hear the words and see how they fit and listen for the cues.

I have recently parted company with a band I helped start 4 years ago for this very same reason. It all started off fine, we were a democracy and all decisions were joint ones. But gradually things changed - latterly everything had to be done the singer's way, all the suggestions made by other band members were vetoed if it didn't fit into his particular template for what we should do. He'd had a few promotions at work and seemed to carry this sense of self-importance into the band. As we were setting up at our last gig he again spoke to me like an office underling - once too often - and we had a major row over something totally inconsequential just before playing. I threatened to throw him off the fire escape, as I recall. :) Which, with my back, was only ever an idle threat :D He made it known afterwards he didn't want me in the band and, as he is a pretty good front man, I got the push and the others stuck with him. Which actually saved me having to quit.

It seems a shame that four years have gone down the swannie, plus I got to be fairly good mates with the other band members and despite assurances all round that we will keep in touch I am sure this will dwindle in time. But, well, that's life.

The last gig I did with one of my bands, we were setting up, and I placed the amps where they had been the time we played there previously. The lead guitarist asked if we could swap them, no problems,but the singer/rhythm guitarist really had the hump about it. Then, when setting up the monitors, I wanted them shifted so that they were dead central to the stage - one, to appease my ocd, two, so that we would all benefit from them, and three, so that when placing my mic-stand, every time I sang, my headstock wouldn`t be hitting the pa stack.

The singer/rhythm guitarist threw a fit, and stormed out of the venue. I was very close to quitting there and then (as similar happened at our prior gig). The gig went well though, and he carried no resentment after the incident. However, I`ve not seen him since the gig, but when I do I`ll raise this with him, as it was such an inconsequential thing to get that annoyed about, so maybe there are other issues he may want to chat to a mate about, and it just manifested itself on this.

But if not, and he does it again, I`m off. Can`t deal with that Princess Tippy-Toes behaviour, it`s not what I`m in a band for. I`ve left other bands because of the singers behaviour, so it won`t bother me to do the same again.

Edited by Lozz196

The second singer in one of my previous bands seemed to have great difficulty learning words and would gig with a crib sheet in front of the monitor. Unfortunately he didn't use big fonts so would disappear on one knee at regular intervals to get an update then bob back up in time for the next verse or chorus! It was really starting to grate but then the band broke up before it became a real issue.