Why become a member? ×

A leap into 5er-land?

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355842557' post='1903496']
Thanks for that. So you use a fender jazz 5 regularly? what would you say about build quality and playability of it?
[/quote]

I use the Jazz V a lot. Build quality wise,it's really solid like most Fenders.It can take a beating.It's easy to play too-at
the moment I prefer the narrower string spacing of the Warwick though. I generally feel really comfortable playing Fender
basses anyway so playability has never been an issue.In fact,when I tried it in the shop I wanted to not like it,but it felt
comfortable and familiar so I bought it.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1355843301' post='1903527']
I use the Jazz V a lot. Build quality wise,it's really solid like most Fenders.It can take a beating.It's easy to play too-at
the moment I prefer the narrower string spacing of the Warwick though. I generally feel really comfortable playing Fender
basses anyway so playability has never been an issue.In fact,when I tried it in the shop I wanted to not like it,but it felt
comfortable and familiar so I bought it.
[/quote]

Ah right, sounds good. Does the fender not have a 17mm string spacing? what's the warwick? I played a warwick one time... neck like a cricket bat. very chunky.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355842608' post='1903501']
I think once you add an extra string you need to forget about what profiles used to suit you, a 5 string jazz doesn't feel like a 4 string jazz etc.

Assuming by Jazz you mean skinny, then Ibanez might be worth a look.
[/quote]

Yeah, i was thinking that. I like the look and sound of the ATK's, and want a 4. Maybe i should look into an ATK 5?

Where the hell am i going to find all these basses to try? I need to spend some time in england!

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1355843459' post='1903530']
Ah right, sounds good. Does the fender not have a 17mm string spacing? what's the warwick? I played a warwick one time... neck like a cricket bat. very chunky.
[/quote]

Honestly,I don't know. The Fender definitely has a wider spacing than the Warwick and it's neck is wider but has a
flatter profile.

[quote name='Doddy' timestamp='1355843832' post='1903544']
Honestly,I don't know. The Fender definitely has a wider spacing than the Warwick and it's neck is wider but has a
flatter profile.
[/quote]

See, i think the wide, flat(ish) profile of the Stingray and P bass is what i don't like about them. I know this means that i am now a bass outcast. But I don't actively avoid playing those for that reason, i still have an OLP stingray which i will be playing again once i get neck screws.

Rounder profiles seem to suit me.

[quote name='charic' timestamp='1355844674' post='1903558']
IIRC the ATK's have a neck shape similar to a P bass.

P basses and stingrays are generally more round, "fatter" necks
Jazzes and sterlings are generally flatter, "thinner" necks
Warwicks actually come in a variety on neck profiles
[/quote]

ah right. I thought maybe warwick did a whole range of neck profiles... seems like the thing they would do.

Must try out a sterling. The guy that owned that warwick had a 72 jazz bass, and recommended a sterling over a stingray. I also like the look of the classic sterling, and with the back mounted pots, looks like the stingray i would build myself.