Why become a member? ×

Ashdown ABM 115 Compact SOLD PENDING

Here we have an Ashdown 115 compact, with an upgraded speaker. It now features an Eminence Kappa 15.

I fitted the Kappa 15 as I wasn't a massive fan of the original driver, and had previously fallen in love with the Orange OBC 115 which features the Kappa. As the Ashdown is of a similar size to the Orange, and also ported, I wanted to make something which sounds similar but is lighter! The Kappa is also [u]a lot[/u] more efficient than the stock driver, so the cab is now much louder. The power rating has also been increased from 300 watts to 450, and it remains an 8 ohm cab.

The sound this cab puts out is lovely - very old-school in tone, but not woolly at all. It has a massive punchy low mid, and a smooth top. Although the Kappa only goes up to about 2.5kHz, it has a big peak just below 2kHz which makes it surprisingly detailed in the high end. Obviously not in a Marcus-super-tweeter-Miller kind of way, but more in an John-clanky-rock-Entwistle way. :) Match it with a P-bass and a decent amp and it's gorgeous. Of course you can slap on it, but you'll be more in Larry Graham's territory than Mark King's. (Which is never a bad thing IMO!) ;)

In terms of condition, I'd say it's 8.5/10 - very good nick but with some scuffed corners and a couple of little nicks in the tolex, which I've tried to show in the photo below. It's not super-light, but definitely not heavy; probably in the region of about 25kg, which for me is a (short) one-hand carry.

I'm selling as I've matched my Ampeg head up with an Ampeg cab - that's right, it's pure vanity. :) And a case of one-in, one-out.

I'm looking for £150 (collected from Leicester) to try and get a quick-ish sale. Courier delivery is not really possible as I can't have things collected from work, however, I will be in Newark, then Leeds next Saturday and around the Norwich area over Christmas. I also work in Nottingham during the week. Of course, I can deliver if it's not too far and you cover my diesel.

Edited by guybrush threepwood