Why become a member? ×

Blues Brothers

simonc61

Because I was playing in a blues band about 15 years back we got asked a couple of times to do a Blues Bros set - which we were happy to do with the addition of a makeshift horn section consisting of a couple of pals from a soul band. It was a laugh. I got bored being the bass player in a blues band anyway so I expect this would have been the same had we done it regularly.

My current band has been going years but I sing too - so even in our early blues incarnation I didn't get fed up. These days we don't really do any blues stuff at all.

My first band at school was a Blues Brothers type band; with a 3 piece brass section playing blues, soul and funk.

We were dead ringers, except for the suits and glasses, and that was many years before they formed the Blues Brothers.

Duck Dunn was the man. I'd jump at the chance to play in a Blues Brothers band again.

Played so many these BB type gigs in the past..way before the Commitments things took off, so I wouldn't be that fussed about the gig anymore.
Great for a dep gig, maybe...as you'll have to have all those numbers down anyway, but too many bands of that ilk about so I'd be looking for something not so over-done.
We do have a couple of singers from the licensed revues doing the rounds so having a decent Jake and Elwood on board would be great but they are just as bored with it now anyway, I suspect.

So, not for me, Would be far more interested in grafting on a horn section for special shows to shake up my current gig,

But if it appeals and the band is different from usual pub fare, then go for it.

[quote name='lojo' timestamp='1355672972' post='1901175']
Some great duck dunn lines, the music generally means it will be a fun crowd booking you, great gig IMO
[/quote]
Thanks Lojo, that's what I thought. Waiting for a call back from them - they still haven't found anyone. I might still be donning the tie and trilby - watch this space. :yarr: (well it's the closest to a Blues brother!)

It is your duty to play in every Blues Brothers band you can.

"No pharmaceutical product could ever equal the rush you get when the band hits that groove, the people are dancing, shouting, and swaying, and the house is rocking!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DmDjBONCXEo&playnext=1&list=PLF820370288A36DD6&feature=results_main

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='chris_b' timestamp='1355691500' post='1901487']
It is your duty to play in every Blues Brothers band you can.

"No pharmaceutical product could ever equal the rush you get when the band hits that groove, the people are dancing, shouting, and swaying, and the house is rocking!"[/quote]

I've seen the light - they're emailing me a set list, audition early in the new year. We're getting the band back together!

[quote name='simonc61' timestamp='1355692393' post='1901497']
We're getting the band back together![/quote]

Play it Steve!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNbdw7P17Ls

Could never bring myself to watch BB2000, but I've got the twin-disc of the original film DVD & a DVD or two of their live stuff. Finding the Winterland 78 on YT was a new one on me - I'll have to get the DVD of that if there is one - and knock one up if not.

Fella how drinks in my local was once the bass player for The Boogie Brothers who were in the 1980s one of the first Blues Brothers tribute bands. He was gigging regularly to packed out venues. He left them a good while back now but really enjoyed his time with them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07NlFovY4GU

[quote name='WHUFC BASS' timestamp='1355756006' post='1902218']
Fella how drinks in my local was once the bass player for The Boogie Brothers who were in the 1980s one of the first Blues Brothers tribute bands. He was gigging regularly to packed out venues. He left them a good while back now but really enjoyed his time with them.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07NlFovY4GU[/media]
[/quote]

Was his name John Woods? He was on the same Intermediate course with me at The Bass Institute in Acton when it was being run by Tony Muschamp in the late 1980's. I saw this band (albeit with a different female singer) about that time at a couple of pubs in London, and eventually supported The Blues Brothers Band (with most of the original members of the band from the film - I was at the gig) at the Hammersmith Odeon (as it was then) in about 1988 or '89.

They were a good band - always wondered what happened to them...

[quote name='simonc61' timestamp='1355595658' post='1900440']
Anyone played in any type of Blues Brothers band in the past or presently. May be such an opportunity down my way but not sure if the over-familiar set would quickly become tedious for a bassist, or indeed it might be a blast?
[/quote]
Currently play in a Blues Brothers/Commitments Tribute. Same musicians go out as a Soul/Tamla/Party band and tend to combine the 2 at Functions. We did the US Car Show at Tatton Park to 30,000+ people and are booked to do the Northampton one next year.