Why become a member? ×

Lacquering a neck?

Marvin

Not actually for a bass, but...

The neck on the cheap strat copy I've bought is completely untreated, just bare wood effectively. How difficult is it to lacquer a neck? My Squier pbass is lacquered, I assume, and I quite like that both playing and in terms of how it looks (gives it a real vintage look). Also as this strat is sunburst with a black scratchplate I thought maybe a lacquered neck with maybe a 70's style fender decal would make it look a bit more cool :)

Thanks for any advice.

Its a technique not unlike spray painting a car in that you have to be smooth, and not apply too much or too little at once. A proper spray gun will get a better finish than an aerosols (unless you're really, really good). I would recommend poly as nitro is a bugger to work with (if you put too much on it pools, then cracks, then removes every layer beneath in a crazy paving pattern).

Have a look on YouTube for some tutorials (there's lots) and then practice on something else first to get your sweeping technique and coverage smooth and even.

Having followed all the above advice I'm still rubbish at it. And you can't polish out a mistake that easily!