Why become a member? ×

String tension and speaking length

Clarky

Apologies for dumb question here but I assume that for any given set of DB strings they should have lower tension when installed on a bass with a shorter speaking length (bridge to nut)? I have Spiro Weich 3/4 3885s on my 3/4 flatback (41") and on my Kolstein Busetto (40") yet for some reason they feel easier on the hands (softer, requiring less left hand strength to depress) on my bigger bass. Admittedly the Spiros have only been on my Kolstein a week - whereas the ones on my flatback have been on 4-6 weeks - but I assumed they would feel significantly less tense on the smaller bass? Or have I got my logic the wrong way round, not for the first time!

[quote name='Mr Bassman' timestamp='1355789682' post='1902928']
Can be to do with the angle over the bridge also
[/quote]

Good point, plus the after-length is shorter on the Kolstein accentuating the break angle. I have no intention to change the strings, I was just a bit confused as to why they felt rather different to the identical set on my 3/4 bass

Thanks! I also just realised (doh!) that if I play at the end of the fingerboard its one inch closer to the bridge than my 3/4 flatback (as fingerboard is same length) and of course the closer to the bridge the higher the tension. I guess a combination of that plus break angle is why it actually feels slightly higher tension with my plucking hand than on my 3/4 bass.