Why become a member? ×

New purchase. Custom Shop '51 Precision Relic. Stunner.

Rick's Fine '52

[size=5][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Latest addition, a bit of an impulse buy yesterday, but it’s just stunning, so thought I’d share, can't put it down.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Fender Custom Shop 1951 Precision, 1 of 15 made. Closet Classic/mild relic.[/font][/color]

[font=Calibri][color=#000000]This is the most period correct Bass I’ve [i]ever[/i] seen come out of the Custom Shop, and I couldn’t refuse![/color][/font]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]The Fender CS are not exactly known for their attention to detail, but this time they’ve spent the time and effort, getting it right, maybe because they only made 15, they could afford the extra detail.[/font][/color]

[u][b][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Specs/detail;[/font][/color][/b][/u]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]One piece Ash body, Nocaster® transulescent Blonde, Nitrocellulose, cracked and weather checked, some chips and faded finish.[/font][/color][/size]
[size=5][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Body even has the body anomoly hump, as appears on the earliest P's,where they didnt yet have the correct machinery to produce the tight radius rout to the lower horn/heel. Love that attention to detail![/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Quartersawn maple neck, Fingerboard Radius 7.25" , wear and lacquer missing from rear.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Warped Bakelite pickguard, this is just stunning, looks original 50’s.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Vintage deep radius headstock scoop, so small walnut cap evident, not seen on any previous reissues.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Reverse Klusons, smaller threads, slot head holding screws, and mounting screws.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Single screw maple lacquered thumbrest.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Chrome covers, with foam mute pad under bridge cover.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]PAT.PEND. Bridge with stamped, Serial Number, and phenolic, shaped saddles.[/font][/color]
[font=Calibri][color=#000000]Slot head screws in all the right places, with 2/3[sup]rd[/sup]’s shaft threaded, vintage correct.[/color][/font]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Flat pole single coil pickup, vintage aged cloth, and earth wire stem, brilliant touch![/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Weighs 8lbs with the covers etc.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]CS certificate, signed by Mike Eldred, cloth, tags, and Fender embossed CS Black flightcase.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]It’s strung with flats, and looks and sounds the business.[/font][/color]
[color=#000000][font=Calibri]Here’s the pics;[/font][/color][/size]
[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri][/font][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#000000][font=Calibri]Vintage loveliness. [/font][/color][/size]
[font=Times New Roman][size=3][color=#000000] [/color][/size][/font]

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='Chris Horton' timestamp='1355954042' post='1905052']
What are the saddles made out of Rick ?
[/quote]

They are described as phenolic, which is basically a resin compound. The originals were phenolic too, although the word used to describe them in those days was bakelite, which is a phenolic resin material of course. Its basically the same material used for the blackguards.
The original '51-'53 saddles appeared in differing shades of colour, as the resin was hand mixed, and poured into the shaped moulds to form the saddles. I currently have two original '52 bridge units, and have owned 2 others, and they have varied from a true black, to a very light woody shade. Detlef Schmidt's (He actually owns the only other example of these reissues I've seen) book shows a good variety of the colour of these saddles.
They did have a tendency to crack though, which makes them impossible to adjust the height, and therefore use, hence why they quite quickly changed to steel saddles.
My original '52 is in such good condition, I've been tempted to remove the bakelite saddles, and leave them in the case, to stop them cracking, and replace them with some more useable ones, but never had the heart to take them off. One day maybe, hopefully before it's too late!! ;)

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355956807' post='1905115']
Wow. Im must say I never really like the look of most the 50's P bass reissues I've seen - but this does look really nice! Good find, you've finished decorating the space for it to go aye? ;)
[/quote]

Yep, the room is all finished now Luke (Apart from some new wall lights), and I've already started to hang my babies (Don't worry, no need to phone Social Services!!). Here's one wall, the pair of JV's on the right, and the pair of 4005's on the left, and some 50's tweed loveliness on the floor; oh and the Takamine;

Here's the opposite wall, yeah I know, nothing there :unsure: , the plan is to have a bit of a Precision history on the wall. Above the cases I'll be hanging the P's, from left to right: '52; '56; '58; '60; '66 (Slab build), something to represent each change I think. I'm hoping there'll be room for the Mando next to the '58 (It's tiny, so think it will fit just fine). The rest will go in the tweed rack on the floor. Finished work today, so have 2 weeks to finish off. the only problem is finding the String Swings to hang them from, I'm still 4 short, and postage won't happen in time now methinks, so hoping some local stores will have some??

:D

Edited by Rick's Fine '52

[quote name='LukeFRC' timestamp='1355962943' post='1905200']
that wall looks great! the 4005 look amazing. :)
Needs a picture above the fireplace though!
[/quote]

Yeah, I have a few options for that, I also have a Fender Sales tweed clock, it basically looks like a tweed bassman, but has the hands of the clock on the grill cloth, nice Fullerton item, but yes, needs something there. I was quite eager to start hanging basses after the paint had dried!! ;)

[quote name='Musicman20' timestamp='1355957918' post='1905130']
Cool! Nice to see they stuck to original spec.
[/quote]

It is, I've had a few CS basses, and have always been dissapointed at their tardiness. They've really gone to town on this though, to even include the hump on the body routing shows the level of care they've gone to on this. It's actually very similar in every way, to my real one. Well chuffed to have stumbled across it!

[quote name='Rick's Fine '52' timestamp='1355965592' post='1905220']

It is, I've had a few CS basses, and have always been dissapointed at their tardiness. They've really gone to town on this though, to even include the hump on the body routing shows the level of care they've gone to on this. It's actually very similar in every way, to my real one. Well chuffed to have stumbled across it!
[/quote] I did wonder why my JV had the same hump. :) I bet Leo would have found it mad we copy features like that!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1355991237' post='1905289']
Great bass Rick, where did you source that one from?
[/quote]

Private ad, thought I'd strike while the iron was hot, he gave telephone number, inviting questions, so I called, had a chat, made an offer, accepted, collected same day. Done. Early Christmas present to myself. :D

[quote name='Seb_C' timestamp='1355996720' post='1905364']
Very nice. How's the sustain with the phenolic saddles? I have read that they don't sustain as well as steel - but then with the foam mute that's not an issue!
[/quote]

No problem with sustain on these at all. I think the mass of the slab body, and through body stringing through the large ferrules helps. Obviously the foam muted bridge cover needs to come off, but it rings like a bell. Sounds like James Jamerson with the mute on actually.