Why become a member? ×

i've just bought this '76 p bass but i need your help!

charliethornton

http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=px-G15ES2730 basically i've just bought this bass without seeing it/playing it (brave i know) but i felt it somewhere in my heart that i needed to. however, i've noticed that they're not the original pickups and the jack socked has been moved... are these problems i should be aware of and is that why it cost what it did?

In a word yes. It also been refiniished. Pickups could be sorted. Not so sure bout that jack socket relocation though, that looks like effort. Did you ask any questions? If it had been stock price would be higher.

Doesnt mean its a bad buy, unless you specifically bought it because you were interested in resale value/authenticity.

As a players bass it's could be a good un.

Edited by gruffers

Got a battery box in the back, so def active. The description is just generic and should have included details about this bass, even to say it's now active and should describe the preamp (maybe lucky and its an East), you'd expect that even from an ebay ad.

Shouldn't the neck bolt plate have an 'f'?

For that sort of money from a retailer I'm sure you'd be within your rights to check any stamps in the neck pocket and neck end.

Just can't read the serial no. Does it check out?

No reason why any of this should mean a bad bass, it'll be a different sound from the electronics to standard (maybe a good thing?) and, unless the neck has problems - often up the dusty end Fender necks get a little bump around the area of attachment.

If it plays well and you like it, but want a more Fendery sound, get one of the Original/Vintage pickups, as SD QPs aren`t traditional Fender sound. Though having just read this in more depth, and seeing that there is possibly active circuitry, could be a bit of a job.

That said, if you`re unhappy with the changes and want a more standard one from the same period, return it/cancel the purchase. Gareth on here is selling a fantastic 78 in natural/black/maple, for £995 (his special Xmas price):

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183015-for-xmas-only-l995-fender-1978-precision-bass-all-original/"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/183015-for-xmas-only-l995-fender-1978-precision-bass-all-original/[/url]

Edited by Lozz196

My thinking is the jack socket was moved to accomodate the extra knob for the active circut but is no longer in place so possibly the bass could be wired as passive? It has a few issues: moved strap button, non original bridge, different knobs...but at the end of the day, you might like the sound and feel of the instrument. I seem to remember this was quite cheap for a mid 70`s P, especially considering the s/h prices in guitarguitar.

The biggest benefit you have is if you don`t like it, let them know and send it back. But, it may be love at first feel as Bon said............

Edited by jezzaboy

Price seems to have been removed now - how much was it (if it's not a personal question)?

Looks like it's a long way from original but, as others have said, if you like it that's not a problem.

However if you're after a 'vintage' bass thats close to original spec then maybe it's worth reconsidering :(

• 3 weeks later...