Why become a member? ×

TC Electronics BH250 + Hartke 200w Cab - Compatible?

lone_groover

I hope this is not too dumb a question.

I’m currently using a TC Electronics BG500 which sounds fabulous but is so blessed heavy that I thought I might go modular.

I’m considering the BH250 but their specs state (http://www.tcelectronic.com/bh250/tech-specs/):-
Power module rating 250w (500w instantaneous Peak @ min. Load) but without saying whether this is into 2, 4, 8 or 16 ohms cab – or is this irrelevant?

I have a Hartke XL Series 115 Bass Module - 200 Watts @ 8 Ohms and wonder if this amp will work with this cab – I only play smallish pubs so won’t be driving the amp very hard.

I can be exceedingly dim sometimes so any help would be gratefully received.

Cheers – Nick

Well, on paper, being very naive, it won't work - with those specs you run the risk of blowing your speaker. (Mind you, it does say that 500W peak is only at 2 ohms, so you really don't have to worry about that particular figure.)

But the more accurate answer is: it might be fine, it might not. The way to tell is to plug them in, play at lowish volume, with a clean tone. Keep playing, and slowly bring the volume up. You'll hear distortion before the speaker goes, so that will tell you how much volume you can safely get. Then it's up to you to decide if that is loud enough for your gigs.

My hunch is that it will actually be fine. But you really need to do the test in order to know for sure.