Why become a member? ×

BC Awards 2012

Kiwi

Hi folks, its that time of the year where we get to reflect on the last 12 months and give recognition to those who have made BC a better place. After a discussion between the mods, the following categories are open for nominations over the weekend. Depending on the response we'll either put a poll together over the Christmas break or go straight to an announcement on New Years Eve.

The categories are:[list=1]
[*]The Robert Trujillo Award for Altruism - The most generous/selfless BC'er this year
[*]The Guy Pratt Award for Hilarity - The most entertaining BC'er this year
[*]The Halabja Gas Attack Award - Highest turnover of bass guitars this year bought and sold on the forum
[*]The Big Bang Theory Award - for technical assistance above and beyond the call of duty
[*]The WTF Award - [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]for the bass related event, quote or press release that had us scratching our heads (and nominating Ped or I for the new look classifieds won't count ;) )[/font][/color]
[*]The Kim Jong Il Award - for your favourite moderator
[/list]
Email your nominations to the admin inbox ([email protected]) with "BC Awards" in the subject so we don't miss them.

Each nomination should be supported by as much evidence as you can supply. For example, if you want to nominate someone for the Halabja award, knowing how many instruments were traded would be helpful for us. Similarly, quotes off the forum would be helpful too.

Ped and I will have a rummage around in the merchandise department and see if we can't come up with a few prizes for BC members.

In the meantime, on behalf of the mods and admin, we hope every single one of you has a fantastic festive period, filled with love, laughter and loud music. :) Stay safe.

Steve

I'm assuming that for categories 4 and 6 we can't nominate the whole of the Mod team - after all you all do a great job...

My personal nomination for Category 2 would have to be Happy Jack...For a Bass related event I have a "no contest" vote for those who put together the SE Bash each year, probably the same nomination for selfless act - go on Hamster!!

Damned and blast..! Now he tells us..! I knew I should have taken notes..! Those of a certain age have trouble remembering what yesterday's dinner was, let alone keep count of items bought/sold or funniest post..!
Never mind, I'm sure the winner will deserved the acclaim, and I won't be able to remember who was more suited to the distinction, anyway.
Season's greetings; back to my siesta...
([i]Non, mais... Est-ce un moment propice pour inventer des sottises pareil, je vous demande..? Et quoi encore..? Le plus grogniant de l'année..?, La contribuition le plus inutile..? Le plus court..? Bah; humbug[/i]...)

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1356279126' post='1908710']
I'm assuming that for categories 4 and 6 we can't nominate the whole of the Mod team - after all you all do a great job...
[/quote]
If that's what you feel, why not? :)

• 2 weeks later...

Rather than have a self-congratulatory round of (self) back-patting, why don't "we" (BC) have a set of awards for the bass-related industry (industries?)
Y'know, categories like: (off the top of my head..)

Best customer service
Best advice
Best rehearsal studio (perhaps by area)
Best independent luthier
Best set-ups
Best new product (bass/amp/other/etc)
Best recording studio

And a "recommendation" for second and third places as appropriate.

The primary aim being to raise the profile of BC in the industry and promote stronger links between the community here and the bass world (See what I did there?) outside...

[quote name='Lfalex v1.1' timestamp='1357662996' post='1926274']
Rather than have a self-congratulatory round of (self) back-patting, why don't "we" (BC) have a set of awards for the bass-related industry (industries?)
Y'know, categories like: (off the top of my head..)

Best customer service
Best advice
Best rehearsal studio (perhaps by area)
Best independent luthier
Best set-ups
Best new product (bass/amp/other/etc)
Best recording studio

And a "recommendation" for second and third places as appropriate.

The primary aim being to raise the profile of BC in the industry and promote stronger links between the community here and the bass world (See what I did there?) outside...
[/quote]

I think that's a fantastic idea. I haven't sent in any votes for the original awards, as i can only think of a couple of names in one or two categories, and even that at a push - we are such an organic community it's hard to pick individual members who are "the best" or "the most" something or other.

Your suggestion would allow us to involve Twitter and Facebook to publicise the winners and get a few retweets and shares, and would also reward good service and good products.

Ped? Kiwi? What do you think?

I could think of a coupl of nominees. it sounds like fun to me. If you would consider extending the deadline I'll send you a PM, ped.
Like some others, I missed this thread as I don't check site news that often. If you are going to run with this idea maybe you could publicise it via a link on mods' signatures or something?