Why become a member? ×

Passive basses

Dr M

I guess I'm lucky, then.
I have a (good) selection of both active and passive basses, some expensive, and some not.
Don't forget that the "Active" epithet covers a multitude of sins, such as:
Active pick-ups
Low impedance outputs/ buffer circuits

And 1,2,3,4 band EQ circuits, quasi/semi/fully parametric and filter systems, with or without active/passive switching, extra passive tone controls and so on and so forth, running 9,18,27 or even 36 volts. And that's before you turn the fretboard LEDs on ( ;) )

It's too simplistic to dismiss a bass depending on whether it uses batteries or not. If it sounds good, It IS good.

My favourites? The all-out immediacy and attack of my (passive) Yamaha Attitude, and the amazing, singing tone of my (active) Vigier. And in the middle? My (Active) Warwick Fortress MM5 with its excessive EQs (yes, 2x2 band) and mildly compressed tone due to lack of headroom from the 9v system when you "give it some". :)

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356203829' post='1907980']
That's not directed soley at you Ki0gon btw but I guess you are included :lol:
[/quote]
Yep I definitely resemble that comment :) but I'm not looking for treble zing or brightness ;) the guitards can have all that :P