Why become a member? ×

MXR distortion questions and an octaver question

SkinnyMike

I have a slight dilema here as im looking for two new pedals. However i want to know for people who have tried out these what are the differences between them. NOT which is better etc..

So what makes the MXR DI+ pedal differ from the MXR Blowtorch? is one more of a synth sound than the other or what? and do they differ in many other ways?

And regarding octave pedals, how does the EBS compare to the digitech in terms of tracking and overall sound?

thanks in advance
Mike

i have owned both, at the same time.

di+ and blowtorch are probably the most different two distortions you could ever compare

the di+ is a mid scooped distortion tone, whilst the blowtoch is more of a synthy fuzz than anything.

low drive sounds from the di+ are great, but the blowtorch sucks for low gain sound.

if you want great synthetic distortion, the blowtorch would be what you want.the mid range control on the blowtorch is brilliant, and the eq is very responsive.

basically we need to know what sound you want, as judging by you choosing these two pedals to compare, you either know nothing about the pedals or no idea what type of sound you are after :)

the ebs is analog, and the digitech is digital (i assume you mean the bass synth wah)
the bass synth wah does a great octave down, but you'll get a warmer more natural tone from the ebs, but of course you will get the usual analog tracking set backs.

what a reply. thats pretty much answered everything i needed to know as yes i dont know anything about them realy.

All i know without trying them out is that i dont want too much of a synthy sound so the di+ sounds like a better option to me as does the EBS. Im going to a guitar shop in Guilford in about an hour to have a mess around with a few pedals and get a better idea but thanks for your reply, its opened my eyes a little.

The only other thing i have to ask is, as far as the anologue tracking goeson the EBS, how responcive is the pedal in relation to other brands out there? I mean, are there better for the price or does it top everything as i want a superb quality octave pedal and in this case money is not a facor. Where as the distort im not so concerned about as long as its not too synthy.

Mike

Edited by the_house123

ye, best thing is to try them out.

The ebs is a superb analog octaver, one of the best i think you are going to find, certainly for the money.

you might be able to get a boss oc-2 for cheaper on ebay, and they are pretty sweet octavers too, miles better than an oc-3

Just got home from the guitar shop then pub and decided that distortion pedals are not realy for me tbh. Every pedal i tried out just didnt cut it for me. As far as octave pedals go i tried out the boss oc3 and again didnt cut it.

I dont know what it is but everything i tried today sounded rather poo...Although saying that, i could just be getting far too picky about pedals now. I still need to try the EBS as that is sounding more prominant as i like keeping original bass tone but adding a slight effect to them. and everything i tried today just ruined that. Was a sad day IMO.

...obviously i didnt spent long enough on either of the pedals. Im going to have to have another test run on them both but i always find it annoying having to test them on a shop floor. Its more of the awarness of other people in the shop issue if you know what i mean.

I had a thought this morning though, would it be feasiable and potentially as good or better than the EBS pedal to create your own from scratch!? i Have a garage full of tools but just no experience with electrics and could be interested in starting.

[quote name='the_house123' post='200496' date='May 16 2008, 03:18 PM']i always find it annoying having to test them on a shop floor. Its more of the awarness of other people in the shop issue if you know what i mean.[/quote]
Assuming you were in Anderton's, they have two try-out rooms hidden in the back behind the (limited) bass section. Ask if you can drag what you want to try in there. :)

Cheers

Mark