Why become a member? ×

Fender Standard or Fender 70's - Is it worth the cost?

Hazza

Having seen the light and switching to the low-end about a year ago I've managed to get up enough money to buy myself a fender bass at last. I am planning on buying either a Fender Standard MIM or the Sunburst Fender 70s Jazz and I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on the differences between them? The cost difference is about £100 and I'm prepared to pay it, just depends whether its actually worth doing.

Thanks,

Harry

The 70s has a fairly sizeable neck for a Jazz, a bit more substantial, plus there`s the 70s spacing on the pickups - a funkier sound when using both, or just the bridge. The 70s looks great with its blocks and binding on the neck as well. I`ve had a couple of the Fender Classic Range, one being the 70s Jazz, and they are very well put together. For only £100 difference I`d go for it, but, try one out and at the same time try the MIM - then get the one that sings in your hands. It could well be the MIM, things sometimes happen like that.

I had a 70`s reissue Jazz and it was very nice. If you like the bound/blocked neck go for it. The tuners are really nice Fender stamped ones if I remember right. But as the old saying goes, only you can decide if it`s worth the extra cash. For me it was.

And you have answered your own question in your 2nd post. You like the feel and look, so, what are you bothering about playing a standard for? Go for it and be happy :)

Iv played the 70s and I found the binding abit cheapy plastic looking,but I think that's cuz I had been perving on one hung in a shop for ages,you know what they say about meeting your heros. I quite fancy a standard mim to pimp,the amount of different Mexican fenders really is confusing though,there is a vintage white re issue (possibly 60s) that looks awesome but can't see how its worth so much more. I know the geddy lee is meant to be the dogs nads but at nearly 900 quid, that's us fender territory

Edited by clashcityrocker

The diversity of tones on the 70s, due to the pickup placement, is quite a lot. Blending the pickups together, either full on or off, a wide variety.

That said, as the above post, the Roadworn Series are something else. I`m not a fan of fake relicing but the way these basses play and sound is what does it - they really are cracking basses. Plus, if you pick one up off here 2nd hand, the resell value will be roughly what you pay for it, whereas with a new bass - well should you want to move it on at some point you have to factor in a drop in what you paid.