Why become a member? ×

Getting that modern R'n'B tone?

Tobiasthegiant

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1356653588' post='1912189']
Anything like this I expect to see an ebs rig in the shadows during live shows! Which is odd as ebs _freak once told me that in the states they were marketed and seen as a modern r and b rig yet in their homeland and mainland europe most people see them as a metal bands go too rig :)
[/quote]

Cool, thats the amp side sorted, any ideas about basses? Sounds almost flatwound/foam muteish

Chris_b is right although Smiths have been gradually usurped by Tobias. Perhaps because the Tobys have a bit more mid range. But the track sounds like it might have a jazz of some kind on it. Difficult to tell though because the bass is so low in the mix. Definitely doesn't sound like a Smith or an Alembic, whatever it is.

My poor old ears tell me that a great deal of the tone here comes from, not the bass, but the combination of the bass and bass drum. Change the bass a bit; 'twill still work, but change the bass drum and you're out on a limb. Not sayin' it's no good or anything, but I just don't hear this (nor indeed many in this vein...) as being 'simply' a question of bass (or amp...). The drums are an integral part of it, imho.
Now then, is that a Ludwig kit..? Sonor..? Yamaha..? Gretsch..? The bets are on...

[quote name='Kiwi' timestamp='1356665905' post='1912254']
....although Smiths have been gradually usurped by Tobias....
[/quote]

There is a live version on YouTube and, from a distance, the bass player looks like he could be playing a Tobias.

A 5 string Stingray might be a good stab at a reasonably priced bass which can get close to this tone.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Dad3353' timestamp='1356666548' post='1912256']
My poor old ears tell me that a great deal of the tone here comes from, not the bass, but the combination of the bass and bass drum. Change the bass a bit; 'twill still work, but change the bass drum and you're out on a limb. Not sayin' it's no good or anything, but I just don't hear this (nor indeed many in this vein...) as being 'simply' a question of bass (or amp...). The drums are an integral part of it, imho.
Now then, is that a Ludwig kit..? Sonor..? Yamaha..? Gretsch..? The bets are on...
[/quote]

Precisely! You younguns need to go back a bit farther to the '60's and the MoTown Sound to more fully understand what is happening here.
James Jamerson stuck a piece of foam rubber under his strings at the bridge to control the ring of the open strings he was not playing at the moment.
These sympathetic tones can be controlled with proper left hand technique but it is my theory that Jamerson was always so drunk, he needed the foam in the studio.
Gibson marketed basses for a while with an ugly slider to engage a foam mute. Reminds me of the Coke bottle in the movie [i]The Gods Must Be Crazy[/i].

The MoTown Sound was a watershed culmination of jazz, gospel and pop. Muscle Shoals was next to carry on.

[quote name='lastnotleast' timestamp='1356696894' post='1912492']
Precisely! You younguns need to go back a bit farther to the '60's and the MoTown Sound to more fully understand what is happening here.
James Jamerson stuck a piece of foam rubber under his strings at the bridge to control the ring of the open strings he was not playing at the moment.
These sympathetic tones can be controlled with proper left hand technique but it is my theory that Jamerson was always so drunk, he needed the foam in the studio.
Gibson marketed basses for a while with an ugly slider to engage a foam mute. Reminds me of the Coke bottle in the movie [i]The Gods Must Be Crazy[/i].

The MoTown Sound was a watershed culmination of jazz, gospel and pop. Muscle Shoals was next to carry on.
[/quote]

Time to delve into some music history me thinks! Now to find a decent drummer to help me with this haha!

I seem to remember US soul/R&B guys always playing Eden or SWR and always through a matching 4x10.

Could just be that this is what they specified in their tour rider when they came to the UK as it would have been fairly easy to find and been a 'known quantity' for them.

Definitely super-jazz territory as well. First time I saw Sadowsky's live on stage was around this era with some of the great US session guys on tour with 'big name' artists.

A whole host of modern hi tech hifi style basses will give you some approximation of this kind of sound . Something easily accessible like a decent Warwick would do fine if you wanted an affordable way to emulate this kind of tone . It sounds like a five string on the original track , and the extended range of a fiver is pretty much mandatory in modern RnB and neo- soul music nowadays .

[quote name='molan' timestamp='1356719113' post='1912939']
Let's not forget that this song is 16 years old so not that 'modern' :)
[/quote]

16 years ago is still modern to me ! I have got shirts and underwear older than that ( no , really I have ) , and lets face it , not much has changed in that time - the Spice Girls are still crap and we have got a Conservative government . Paradoxically , the "modern " sound has been a bit old fashioned for a while now . To be contemporary nowadays you would probably favour a vintage Precisuion with flats on , or similar retro chic .