Why become a member? ×

Low output from new bass?

TRBboy

So I gigged my new Sandberg for the first time last night, but weirdly I had to crank the input gain on my amp right up. When I did, there was no noise or other symptoms of a weak signal you'd expect to hear, in fact it sounded great! It's just weird because my normal gigging bass is exactly the same model, so I've got something to compare it to. Checked the battery, tried going straight in instead of through the pedal board, etc, etc, but couldn't come up with anything..... Tomorrow night I'll compare it to my backup bass which will hopefully conclude whether its the bass or I have a problem with my amp. I would have expected to hear some noise or something if it was either though.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any suggestions!

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1356956218' post='1915502']
Only thing i can think of is does the pre amp have an internal trim pot that can adjust the volume level?
[/quote]

Well I didn't think that they do, but I'm gonna whip the back off and have a look in a bit. Thanks.

[quote name='nugget' timestamp='1356965906' post='1915734']
Hi Oli - might be a bit daft, but are the pickups low? even a few millimeters has a big effect on output
[/quote]

Hi Dave! Yeah might try giving them a tweak, it just seems like too much of a difference to be that. I've never had to crank the input gain so high, even with a passive bass. I'll compare them properly to my other KT5 in a bit. Thanks for the suggestion.

I've just 5 mins ago raised the bass side of my P pickup by about 2mm and had to turn the input gain down from 3/4 to less than half

[quote name='TRBboy' timestamp='1356966236' post='1915741']
I'll compare them properly to my other KT5 in a bit.
[/quote]

Hey - how many KT5's have you got now???? You can only play one at a time so look after the other

Well there's no trim pot inside, but there was a good 1.5mm difference from one to the other. I've adjusted the old KT5 down, because I felt it was too close, rather than the new one being too far away (the B sometimes hits the pole pieces when we do "Killing in the name of"!).

Dave, just last week recieved my custom spec KT5 (thread in bass forum) and its awesome! Sold all my 4s now, just got the two KT5s and an old Yamaha BB605 as a backup/living room bass.

[quote name='dave_bass5' timestamp='1356984691' post='1916156']
Nice one, glad it was that simple.

I wish I had a gig tonight, the first time in 9 years I'm not gigging. Have a good one.
[/quote]

Ah,sorry you haven't got a gig! Ours went well, same pub as last year but not quite as busy. Still, everyone who was there enjoyed it and so did we (and so did the landlord!).

It seems I've got another issue with my new bass, when it arrived it had a duff battery, but note it seems the battery I put in a few days ago is dead now too..... Hopefully I just need to check out the writing on the jack socket and adjust as necessary.

Happy new year BTW!