Why become a member? ×

EMG wiring J set with BTC control?

topcat3355

So I fitted an EMG J set to my bass last year, and this year I'll be adding a BTC control. I'll have a spare POT where the old tone dial was, but would have no use for it. Would it be possible to use it as a master volume alongside the individual pickup volumes? So on the bass would be:
-1 neck pup volume control
-1 bridge volume control
-1 BTC control
-1 master volume

Cheers people :)

Yes it would be possible, but if you won't use it I wouldn't bother. Its just one more control to go wrong and confuse you at a gig when your bass goes quiet...

You could put a studio switch in there. i.e. a switch connected to nothing for those moments when someone says "Its not quite sounding right" SWITCH "ows that?" "oh yes much better" :)

Or you could put an LED to show you when the battery is running out, although that would drain the battery quicker.

Sorry it was a bit of a joke. The studio switch is just a dummy switch. It does nothing except convince the engineer you have changed something when in fact you have not. I put one in on a bass that had an extra hole years ago, just to fill the hole, and was surprised how often it worked.

If you want a useful switch, you could add a [url="http://www.1728.org/guitar10.htm"]series/parallel[/url] switch for the two pickups. It adds an extra sound, basically both pickups wired in series to give you a much beefier sound - a bit like a Precision. I do have one of these on my main bass and it comes in handy at gigs sometimes as it does boost the output slightly.

ha ha! It reminds me of my mate's 'DFA' control. He used to do monitor mixes for big bands on stage. Many an amateur band would 'gesture' him angrily to crank up the monitors or sort out their on stage tone problems - and indeed more often than not, on seeing him turn a control on the desk, it'd be thumbs up and a thank you.

Which was funny as the control 'Does Feck All' - it, like the studio switch wasn't wired in!

[quote name='dood' timestamp='1357584512' post='1924917']
ha ha! It reminds me of my mate's 'DFA' control. He used to do monitor mixes for big bands on stage. Many an amateur band would 'gesture' him angrily to crank up the monitors or sort out their on stage tone problems - and indeed more often than not, on seeing him turn a control on the desk, it'd be thumbs up and a thank you.

Which was funny as the control 'Does Feck All' - it, like the studio switch wasn't wired in!
[/quote]

haha Yes I used to do monitors for local band nights, I just used a spare channel and made a big deal out of turning it up full. Usually a thumbs up and no more bother. Very occasionally you would get some a/hole who would continually ask. Once I got someone who told me to "turn the f***ng monitors up" over the mic in between each song! A quick burst of feedback in his face put that to bed. :ph34r: