Why become a member? ×

Opinion on Composite / Phenolic fingerboards ?

ZenBasses

Hey guys

Thanks for all the info... I will obviously be taking advice from Jon when it comes to wood choices and the like. I was just throwing it into general discussion as 20 opinions are better than 1..and you've all had good ones.

Defo stired me away from the idea and stick to what I know.. Good old fashioned wood. As mentioned the attack of the Phenolic wouldn't be in keeping with what I was trying to achieve... And although I doubt Jon's composite / wood necks would move a tremendous amount or warp its better not to tempt faith.

Now to see what weird and wonderful grains Jon has....

So far we've got. Black Walnut and the body core his usual 5 piece muti laminate neck with, sycamore figured top. Combined with MM J pickup configuration.

Thanks peeps a plethora of information as usual

I ordered a couple of Status with wooden boards and it changed the whole character of the basses.

The fretless sounds really woody, much warmer than my other fretless Status with a phenolic board.

The fretted bass with the maple board has less fret clatter than my other fretted phenolic Status basses. The wooden board helps to take the toppiness out of the initial attack of the note.

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/Both.jpg[/IMG]