Why become a member? ×

Noob - Hello

aende

And a Happy New year

So, why am I here?

I am an ex pro guitar player.....alright, I only had 2 pro tours, but they were big...for a boy band....lets leave it there!

Anyway, I have always 'toyed' with bass and find it a fascinating instument to groove on. Unfiortunately, I play bass the way I play guitar - something I am trying to change as time goes by...IMHO guitar players make bad bassists....but I am keen to re-learn.

My guitar equipment has all gone now due to space, kids and so on - so, I am keeping bass kit on the light and mobile side. My guitar amp collection included some beautful vintage amps and a some vintage guitars which, when auctioned payed for nearly half of my house!

I am playing bass in a covers band at the moment, just keeping it simply clone playing, but enjoying the groove and the power in the rythm section.

My favourite Bassists; tough choice really, but I like Peter Cetera, Fieldy, Flea and a guy I saw play at Cafe Wha! in NYC, he was very cool and played with such a relaxed style. My favourite guitar player was Terry Kath.

I already own a German built Warwick Corvette bass and now own an Ashdown Superfly amp. Should be enough to start with! I am lucky enough that my father in law has played bass for 40 years + and has a plethora of vintage basses inclusing a '60's Thunderbird, '68 EB1 and a '67 Rivoli along with a classic Ampeg SVT 350 + cabs...I am borrowing a cab from him at the moment!

Anyway, I could do with cab advice - the Superfly cabs are not made anymore but I need 4 ohm 2 x 10 - are there any that are factory built? I could buy an old cab a reload and re-wire, but I don't want to go down that route unless I have to!

Any advice on settings on the superfly would be great too.

Welcome noob?

I couldnt tell you anything useful about those cabs but if you post your questions here [url="http://basschat.co.uk/forum/5-amps-and-cabs/"]http://basschat.co.uk/forum/5-amps-and-cabs/[/url]
You might get some decent answers. Good luck.

Cheers Leen.

Hey Aende,

Welcome!

Do tell us more about the boy band. I smell humour! :lol:
You're a tough one who admitted it. We like people of character here. Just keep silent and we'll be good friends. ;)

I recognize the amp situation. My one room now has a separate bedroom through the use of what I call The Wall of Sound. So you're not alone.

Sorry, I noobly can't help with the cabs or the Superfly.

Enjoy the site!

best,
bert

Welcome from the frozen middle of the U.S.A. I too played guitar/keyboards for many years and drums for 10 years before that.
Two 2x10 cabs wight be ideal in that you couls split them up when only one may be required for practice of small venues.

I am old school (read: old) and prefer the sound of 15's of which I own two 1x15 cabs. My plan is to add a 2x10 so as to be equipped for any situation.
With 15's, there is a significant difference between sealed and ported (of which I prefer the former) but I don't know if there is such a distinction with a 2x10.

Seems to me a high quality speaker is the more critical component and you will find the folks here at BC are a wealth of information on that topic.

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1357134387' post='1917871']
And a Happy New year

So, why am I here?

I am an ex pro guitar player.....alright, I only had 2 pro tours, but they were big...for a boy band....lets leave it there!

Anyway, I have always 'toyed' with bass and find it a fascinating instument to groove on. Unfiortunately, I play bass the way I play guitar - something I am trying to change as time goes by...IMHO guitar players make bad bassists....but I am keen to re-learn.

[/quote]

Hello, and welcome!

Happy new year to you!

Got a question, just for my own curiosity. Why switch from guitar to bass when you were already a pro player with loads of lovely vintageyness?

Also, the boy-band, where you in any way a member of the boy-band, or a session musician for them while on tour?

That being said, i play bass and guitar (bass to a bad standard, guitar to an even worse standard) and i still prefer bass.

I don't think being a guitarist makes for being a bad bassists, but i think guitarists who think that playing bass is just playing the root notes of the guitar chord are normally the worst (in terms of bass playing ability, and just to talk to generally :D ) But i have found a fair few guitarists pretending they could play bass. My mate's a guitarist of 8 years, and actually now filling in on bass in his punk band untill they find a decent bassist. I believe he is making a fair job of it.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1357236571' post='1919617']
Hello, and welcome!

Happy new year to you!

Got a question, just for my own curiosity. Why switch from guitar to bass when you were already a pro player with loads of lovely vintageyness?

Also, the boy-band, where you in any way a member of the boy-band, or a session musician for them while on tour?

That being said, i play bass and guitar (bass to a bad standard, guitar to an even worse standard) and i still prefer bass.

I don't think being a guitarist makes for being a bad bassists, but i think guitarists who think that playing bass is just playing the root notes of the guitar chord are normally the worst (in terms of bass playing ability, and just to talk to generally :D ) But i have found a fair few guitarists pretending they could play bass. My mate's a guitarist of 8 years, and actually now filling in on bass in his punk band untill they find a decent bassist. I believe he is making a fair job of it.
[/quote]

Wow! Thanks for all the fantastic greetings! Happy New Year all! Bassists are far more sociable than guitarists!

I was a session guy on tour - I got picked up, so to speak, playing some jazz guitar at a shop in Denmark St in London. I was asked to audition with the session band, got the gig. The only reason I did it was for the dance routine girls.....standing in an Orchestra pit looking up at tight buns jiggling about, whilst trying to concentrate on failrly complex music makes you, or breaks you - I broke allot! The reason for the switch from guitar to bass was the admiration for bass players. There is nothing quite like hearing a great bassline - it makes or break a song. A solid rythm section in a band is really the measure of the band, the guitar player and vocalist can do whatever they want and will be considered 'eccentric' or 'avant-garde'. The bass player has to be more in tune with the beat, the feel and the groove - adding in fills while keeping a steady bottom end is really difficult.

I kinda found that over my ~20+ years of playing guitar - I got pretty good (calm the ego boyo!). But I could get away with playing like my hand was broken when I felt like it. I started to never play the same solo twice on songs - I could Eddie Van Halen up a folk song on an acoustic guitar. Rather than playing a minor chord in a piece, I would play the 11th and funkify it.....basically, I was screwing around because I could. Equipment became more and more important; the 'right' guitar, the 'right' amp. I still believe that 80% of being a good musician is not about how well you play, but how good the sound you make it, i.e. it is pleasing to listen to. Anyway, I could never ever shift the admiration that I have for a good bassist - I even played allot of guitar gigs through a bass amp (Marshall Super Bass 100W Jubilee head 25/50!).

I am trying like hell not to 'root note' anything to death, although sometimes it has to go with the song and the job is to provide the steady bottom end. But I like the fact that there is limited 'fill' time, you can add in some percussion on the bass (I would have been a drummer, but I cannot get all my limbs to move independantly - Watching a good drummer like Thomas Pridgen is just the best!).

I heard an interview recently with 'Fieldy' from KoRn - He was saying that what I thought was double tap kick drum, was in fact him slapping up the bass - sweet! How cool is that, not just adding colour to the tune, but adding percussion and bottom end. Good bass players are like the Picasso's of the music world - sometimes it is funny looking, but when you really understand it, it hits you on all levels.

Anyway, enough jabber from me.

On the Cab front - I borrowed an Ampeg 2 x 10 Classic cab. Works and treat and is bloody light. I think I might get hold of some reclaimed wood and build my own 2 x 10 cab.....anyone know if I should build a fixed or floating baffle board?

Cheers

A

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1357312937' post='1920811']
Wow! Thanks for all the fantastic greetings! Happy New Year all! Bassists are far more sociable than guitarists!

I was a session guy on tour - I got picked up, so to speak, playing some jazz guitar at a shop in Denmark St in London. I was asked to audition with the session band, got the gig. The only reason I did it was for the dance routine girls.....standing in an Orchestra pit looking up at tight buns jiggling about, whilst trying to concentrate on failrly complex music makes you, or breaks you - I broke allot! The reason for the switch from guitar to bass was the admiration for bass players. There is nothing quite like hearing a great bassline - it makes or break a song. A solid rythm section in a band is really the measure of the band, the guitar player and vocalist can do whatever they want and will be considered 'eccentric' or 'avant-garde'. The bass player has to be more in tune with the beat, the feel and the groove - adding in fills while keeping a steady bottom end is really difficult.

I kinda found that over my ~20+ years of playing guitar - I got pretty good (calm the ego boyo!). But I could get away with playing like my hand was broken when I felt like it. I started to never play the same solo twice on songs - I could Eddie Van Halen up a folk song on an acoustic guitar. Rather than playing a minor chord in a piece, I would play the 11th and funkify it.....basically, I was screwing around because I could. Equipment became more and more important; the 'right' guitar, the 'right' amp. I still believe that 80% of being a good musician is not about how well you play, but how good the sound you make it, i.e. it is pleasing to listen to. Anyway, I could never ever shift the admiration that I have for a good bassist - I even played allot of guitar gigs through a bass amp (Marshall Super Bass 100W Jubilee head 25/50!).

I am trying like hell not to 'root note' anything to death, although sometimes it has to go with the song and the job is to provide the steady bottom end. But I like the fact that there is limited 'fill' time, you can add in some percussion on the bass (I would have been a drummer, but I cannot get all my limbs to move independantly - Watching a good drummer like Thomas Pridgen is just the best!).

I heard an interview recently with 'Fieldy' from KoRn - He was saying that what I thought was double tap kick drum, was in fact him slapping up the bass - sweet! How cool is that, not just adding colour to the tune, but adding percussion and bottom end. Good bass players are like the Picasso's of the music world - sometimes it is funny looking, but when you really understand it, it hits you on all levels.

Anyway, enough jabber from me.

On the Cab front - I borrowed an Ampeg 2 x 10 Classic cab. Works and treat and is bloody light. I think I might get hold of some reclaimed wood and build my own 2 x 10 cab.....anyone know if I should build a fixed or floating baffle board?

Cheers

A
[/quote]

Wow... Don't know how to reply to that really...

I have no idea about cabs. You should check out the amps and cabs section though. Nearly any regular in that forum could tell you.

I want to learn drums, and my drummer mate wants to learn bass. WHY CAN'T WE ALL JUST LEARN TO BE GOOD AT ONE THING!? :(

I joke, of course. My mate is a brilliant drummer, and he will be a great bassist too i'm sure. As will you. If you want to get off root notes and into slap, try "Get up and jump" by Red Hot Chili Peppers. I've just done a review of some strings, and i played it for a short while in that vid, if you want to check it out.

:D

[quote name='aende' timestamp='1357575956' post='1924736']
I'd also like to point out that bass players have a longer scale-length - it's important......!
[/quote]

Yes, this is true, but how big is the car you drive? cause if it's not a fiesta or a micra, you should probably keep it to yourself :D

Me? i drive a ford galaxy.... oh... stop laughing, please?