Why become a member? ×

Greetings!

HamsterLegz

Hi there,

First of all: Happy 2013! May you all be overwhelmed by succes and become filthy rich this year.

As you can see in my profile, I' m from Utrecht, The Netherlands. My nickname is completely without any reference to my lower appendages, it's just a funny name. I'm playing (fretless) bass guitar for about 25 years now. Mostly indie pop/rock/experimental-style, but also ska and covers. At the moment, I play in two stoner-rockbands. Don't know for how long, because my work takes more and more of my time, but we'll see.

For all you gearheads, my rig consists of:

- Wal Mark I
- Music Man Singray, fretless & modified
- Ovation Magnum 1
- S.D. Curlee
- Acoustic Eko, fretless
- Homemade bass, fretless

All basses are 4-stringed.

Wishlist: A fretless Wal Mark 1 (unlined).

For amplification, I use stuff by Hevos, a small builder of amps and cabinets from The Netherlands. And finally, I have a bunch of effect pedals to fiddle with. Greatest fun and challenge for me is to modify my bass sound with the effects to break out of the usual ways of playing bass. But, on the other hand: if the song needs a simple bass line, then I play it like that.

'Till later,

HLz

Hey there Mr legs,

Welcome to basschat. There's a few of your countrymen on this forum (don't listen to basstractor - he's from Dudley!)
I dabble with a bit of fretless as I have an overwater, but i do find it hard to get a decent recording sound or maybe it's my technique?
Share your experience with us and furnish this place with pictures (if it works)

Cheers Leen.

Oh man, this is cool!
Hello from sunny Dudley! Finally another fellow countryman of mine here on BC. There' soooo few of us! Where in Norway are you from?

Sorry, hoor! Was alleen maar 'n geintje vanwege de schotse grapjas hierboven.

Welkom dan maar, en maak er wat leuks van!

doei,
bert (heb trouwens een heel klein beetje in Utrecht gestudeerd)

Edit. [b]Blijf met je gore tengels van die treinen af, man![/b]

Edited by BassTractor

Thanx for the welcome, guys!

I don't have any pics or soundbites to post at the moment, but maybe this is a good moment to start making some. I'll keep you informed.

Concerning playing fretless bass and the tuning problems: One thing that helped me a lot was holding my tuning hand (i.e. my left hand as I'm right-handed) in the classical way, like playing classic guitar. It gives you a better reach for the notes and therefore better intonation.

HLz

I would wish you a warm, sunny welcome from the U.S.A. but it was -13C this morning and I nearly froze to death taking my son to school so I will just say welcome.
Try not to encourage BassTractor too much, his physicians do not want him to get overly excited as the meds are no longer effacacious.