Why become a member? ×

Calling all vintage Gibson experts...

Jigster

I've come across a very nice walnut EB3 which is listed as being a 73/74 model - I've had a root around on the internet as I'm confused. Unlike the typical EB3 chrome pickups, this has two black 'Gibson' marked pick ups - one [i]right[/i] at the neck, the other in the P position.

Also the controls feature usual V/T but also two black switches, which I guess are p'up selectors, and the controls are all mounted at an angle a bit like the Hofner arrangement.

Also no pickguard.

I've not seen any EB3s like this - might they be a special run?

Can't do pics as it was in a shop.

Thanks for any help.

Just pm'd you, but for future reference....

I'd say this was a standard UK shop price for one of these. Yes £899 is steep - but shop prices always are. (I never buy vintage basses from shops!) If it started at a pound on ebay i'd expect one to go closer to £600. Having said this, you don't get all the assurances a shop offers. Does it have a case? Original bridge cover? Are the saddles intact?

These are not as desireable as the EB series basses, but there are a lot of people that hate EBs; too much mud. Despite having the EB looks, this is a very different bass - single coil pups (no mudbuckers) and no mahogany. A lot of EB haters might find the actually prefer the tone of the SB basses.

They were cheaper basses to start with, but were still very well built, and finished. Not bad basses at all, but not really in the same league as an EB3.

Personally if I were to spend £899 on a Gibson bass, i'd put it towards a slightly battered EB3 from US ebay. I suspect you could get one close to that price... It all depends on how you feel about buying unseen, and most critically how patient you can be. Yes, all the ones on ebay seem to be $3k, $4k or $5k but i'd bet very few of them ever sell.

i'd wait for a deal like this (now gone by the way)

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-70-Gibson-USA-EB-3-EB3-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-w-HSC-/330839817106?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d0796fb92"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-70-Gibson-USA-EB-3-EB3-4-String-Electric-Bass-Guitar-w-HSC-/330839817106?pt=Guitar&hash=item4d0796fb92[/url]

- I haven't had a close look at the above by the way, i'm assuming it's as it seems on a cursory look... seems like a great deal for somebody - early january can give some real bargains!

Jules