Why become a member? ×

Can I use an 8ohm and a 4 ohm cab at once?

Basskiller666

Hey there,

This may be a silly question but Im wondering if I have a 4ohm quad cab and a 8ohm quad cab and my Mesa M9 has two speaker outputs is it possible to use both cabs at once? The mesa m9 has a switch on the back that is switchable to 8/4ohm or 2ohm. I havent tried to run both cabs yet, just wanted to ask the question first so I dont damage anything? Appreciate the feedback.
Cheers.

[quote name='walbassist' timestamp='1357558626' post='1924319']
At 2ohms (you'll be at 2.66) the M9 puts out 900 watts, so your cabs should ideally be rated to handle 600 watts (4 ohm) and 300 watts (8 ohm respectively).

EDIT: Your reply to Liam makes my post redundant :(
[/quote]

So ideally it should be ok to run the above mentioned cabs together at 2ohms? Im just a bit hesitant to try it!

[quote name='Basskiller666' timestamp='1357559117' post='1924336']
So ideally it should be ok to run the above mentioned cabs together at 2ohms? Im just a bit hesitant to try it!
[/quote]

It should be okay, but if the 4x10 is already farting at low volume something isn't right. Try the Trace at low volume and see if the same thing happens.

When I get back to the rehersal room I am going to try tuning to drop d and see if its the fact Im in C that is causing the problem, though I dont think it should matter that much, My M9 is basically brand new too so I really hope its not an amp issue, 75% of the time it sounds badass, its only on a certian few notes that it breaks down, for example just playing an open top string quite heavily it doesnt like it :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1357560535' post='1924386']
Sounds like there is a problem somewhere - maybe with the amp itself if both cabs are "farting" at low volume. Could it be the bass? Does it have an active circuit and if so, are the batteries fresh?
[/quote]
A friend of mine just mentioned the same thing, I might try replacing the batteries next time Im in the jam room, I will also try another bass and see if I have the same problem.