Why become a member? ×

MB choice ?

Kevin Dean

At the moment I have 2 x NY604s , but I cant get the mid punch I use to love with my 121H combo , I'm trying to exchange one of the cabs & at the moment Ive been offerd a NY122 , I realise I would have to use this as a stand alone being 4ohms .Or a 210HF dual ported that I could use with the other NY604. I play with a pic anything from Boomtown Rats to the Stranglers covers in Small medium pubs . what would your choice be? cheers .

The 212 would be a nice stand-alone cab. I have an MB CMD121P combo with the NY121 cab, and it`s plenty for anywhere I`ve played yet - in fact, for one of my bands, The Tuesday Club, I just use the combo on its own. For my other band, The Daves, which does Pistols/Clash/SLF/Ramones I use the pair - those MB 12s are great for this.

That said, I`d love to hear walbassists suggestion of the 151 with a 604 - sounds a very appealing rig to me.

Mixing cone sizes may not be the best solution.

It may be the 4x6 cabs just won't push enough air at the particular frequencies you like. This is a bit surprising as one thing all the MB cabs I've tried have is mid punch. But if one or two of these cabs aren't giving you the tone you want, then perhaps you need to rethink your rig and go back to one/two 1x12 cabs. I use two 12" cabs for most things now and they are plenty loud enough and work together, whereas different cone sizes can sometimes work against each other.

What bass and head are you using? Are you scooping the mids on your amp at all?