Why become a member? ×

Ibanez GWB 35 content...

Mikey D

I absolutely loved my GWB35, as it is (was) the best playing and sounding fretless I had tried. Also the ramp and upper neck access etc made is ideal for my style of playing, but recently I decided to sell it to cover rent etc. It was this or my Spector Rebop5, but I need a fretted bass more for some projects and the fretless was more for my own thing....however(!) when I saw another GWB35 come up on talkbass I had to have it as I decided I couldn't live without my GWB...it only took one week!

[attachment=8736:gwb_bass.jpg]
[attachment=8737:bass_pre.jpg]

I was going to upgrade my GWB before it went, but this was the easy option. Custom nordstrand pickup and bee basses beepre...nice!

I should get the bass within the week, so will try and get some sound files or something up to compare a normal gwb35 against it.

My landlord is more than likely wondering where my rent for this month is though! :)

[quote name='kevbass' post='200863' date='May 17 2008, 06:35 AM']very tasty, I have considered getting one of these and having it fretted, has anybody on this forum done so before? Did it turn out any good?[/quote]

That is my main aim, to have a fretless and fretted one. I have talked with a couple of luthiers and they don't think they will be able to fret the ebonal as they feel the fret wire won't grip properly. The only option would be to remove the fingerboard and replace with a new one. Or keep an eye out for a fretted gwb2 which I have been doing for a very long time now. Or buy a gwb1 with an ebony board and get that fretted.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got this bass from Parcelforce...WOW! A few more chips on the bodywork than i was expecting...but it's not about looks is it!?

The electronics upgrade has turned this already fine instrument in a BEAST!

I'm not sure if it the Nordstrand Dual Coil pickup or Bee Pre is the main contributor, or just a combination of the both, but the output is much higher than the stock electronics. And the tone is lovely and full, and very very quiet in noise terms. When rolling the bass (or any control for that matter) full on, the tone is every usable. Personally I'm not a fan of the setup and strings but that can be easily changed. Just having the extra tone control options on the bass is very nice. I always liked having a very simple volume, tone layout, but the additional features the previous owner has added has only enhanced the sounds you can get out of this bass.

The only thing left to do now is buy a pack of Warwick Blacks w/high C and a nice low setup and I'm back in business...I may have to let my Spector go to get another one of these with the same upgrade and replace the fretboard for a fretted one I like it so much!

I would definitely recommend this upgrade to anyone with a GWB35 who feels their bass doesn't have enough oomph!
Note: I forgot it even had push/pull for passive and for a different mid freq...I'm off to try that now!