Why become a member? ×

Bass relay - Now with start date

Jimryan

Evening all,

BC member lojo's recent post in OT has helped me remember an idea I had a while back (no, not what led to the forgotten thread).

My very first bass, a stagg BC300 (I think), it's awful, but did me good for learning. I couldn't bring myself to sell it. However, I could let it go for a fun reason. Say, a BC Bass Relay?

Something simple like, play your next gig with it, post a photo of the moment in a thread and pass it on along with adding a wee sticker of something local.

Is this a totally mad idea that Will never catch on, or is it worth it for a laugh?

Edited by Jimryan

I guess you just find a gigging bchatter who lives in hand over distance from you and it goes from there, sure this could be done without posting, we all live close to someone else and a lot of us travel.

Id agree to play a song on it with a pic if it found its way over this way ever, sure others would also.

Edited by lojo

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1358015491' post='1931925']
True, but there's an awful lot of members on here that are local to others and/or get about a bit. It could work...COULD.
[/quote]

Ah I see, you're thinking more of physically handing over rather than posting. I know there's several active BCers within a 30 minute drive of me, so I'm sure it could work.

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1358015504' post='1931930']
I like mad ideas! This sounds great. Count me in.
We'll probably need to establish some ground rules, particularly on postage costs.
What about the sender/passer-on pays for postage?
[/quote]

I imagine ground rules would be fairly easy to sort out. The hand over and gig ideas are both great, postage only if absolutely necessary. I'm not overly fussed on the bass, but don't want it smashed to pieces. I'm tempted to strip it of the stickers on it currently to give us a blank canvass. I'll get hold of a cheap set of Pu's for it and then once if done a gig with it to start it off, this'll be underway.

This is a brilliant idea...chance to meet other BCers you might never have met up with, excuse to get out and see another band, would make a brilliant thread and would be interesting to follow the trail..especially with photos from the gigs - don't forget to take photos of the bass being passed over. At the end of the year all the photos could be combined in a slide show, showing the bass's journey.

Absolute genius..

[quote name='TheGreek' timestamp='1358016618' post='1931962']
don't forget to take photos of the bass being passed over.
[/quote]

Just thought that myself. Could be a fun little hand over, over a pint or something.

And yeah, seeing it's travels would be interesting, even more so if one of us lot gets a recorded TV gig or something, that could be a laugh.

This reminds me of the '70s practical joke where somebody "borrowed" a neighbour's garden gnome, leaving a note to the effect "[i]I'm off, I'm bored standing around here..[/i]".

The neighbour then received photos of the gnome by the Eiffel Tower in Paris, the Pyramids at Giza, Egypt and so on...basically the gnome was taken round the world, had it's photo taken by famous landmarks before being returned to where it had been borrowed from..I don't think they ever found out who was responsible for the gag either...the perp must have been so smug!!

I remember reading about that. Wasn't the gnome returned with a suitcase of photos or something?

Right, here's what the bass currently looks like (you can tell it's a teenagers first bass :-p), thinking of removing the stickers though so all could add their own little piece to it though.

[IMG]http://i1258.photobucket.com/albums/ii527/jimryan88/image-10_zpse048f1ec.jpg[/IMG]

Cheers pete, I've got a spare set here though. Just need to whack a cheap set of PU's in it and its good to go. The old Set came out as they were no good and had intentions of installing working ones, despite never intending on using it. Either way, I think this idea is much better.

[quote name='yepmop' timestamp='1358018792' post='1932022']
Count me in, My band don't currently gig a lot but do have one on the 24th Jan if it's ready by then?
[/quote]

Good to know matey,

If I can get it up and running, you're in. Understandably, I wanna do the first gig with it. There's a chance I'll have one this Saturday, by we'll see.

Just so I know, yepmop, where are you based in Pompey?