Why become a member? ×

Getting a key bass tone, without a key bass

alstocko

Hey guys, bare with me for a minute as I'm not great at explaining myself.

Basically (no pun intended), I would like to try and make my bass sound like a Moog synth.

e.g. http://youtu.be/pdmg9xHuVo0

Is it possible to get a sound like this out of a bass guitar? I was thinking about tweaking with a Moog Low Pass filter, would this get me anywhere near this tone?

Thanks,

Alec

That's a lovely bass synth sound, but quite mild - mostly just a sine wave. Dincz advice is spot on for this track.

In general, there's lots of us trying to get a synth sound from our basses (search for 'synth bass' here or on Talkbass to find a zillion threads). The main ways are:

1) Use a keyboard!
2) Use a synth pedal, like the Boss SYB5, Ibanez SB7, EHX Bass Micro Synth, Markbass Super Synth, Korg G5, Akai Deep Impact
3) Use a combination of pedals, often octaver -> fuzz -> envelope filter

I can't listen to the video just now, but if you get a boss OC2 or OC3 & put it on to -1 oct (have no direct or -2 oct audiable), then it's a good start for synth bass. Then put it through a Moog LPF & you can tweak some very synth like tones.
Any excuse to get some Moog pedals, eh! B)

My 'synth' sound begins with the OC2.To be honest it sounds good enough on it's own (no direct signal,
-1 at 3/4, -2 around 1/2),but adding a bit of envelope filter and/or overdrive sounds cool. I've also had
good results with the Ibanez SB7.

Personally though,if I want a good synth bass sound I'll play synth. It's not just the sound-there is a feel to the
synth that you can't really get on an electric bass.

[quote name='phagor' timestamp='1358169881' post='1934081']
That's a lovely bass synth sound, but quite mild - mostly just a sine wave. Dincz advice is spot on for this track.

In general, there's lots of us trying to get a synth sound from our basses (search for 'synth bass' here or on Talkbass to find a zillion threads). The main ways are:

1) Use a keyboard!
2) Use a synth pedal, like the Boss SYB5, Ibanez SB7, EHX Bass Micro Synth, Markbass Super Synth, Korg G5, Akai Deep Impact
3) Use a combination of pedals, often octaver -> fuzz -> envelope filter
[/quote]
4) Roland V-Bass