Why become a member? ×

Cab re-sizing

Jimryan

Evening all,

I've been using my home built 1x15 for a while now. The cab itself is quite large and heavy, so was considering whipping out the driver and cables and installing them into a smaller, more portable, back friendly cab.

What would the smaller dimensions do to the overall sound?

It's currently slightly larger and deeper than a Marshall 1x15, I'm thinking of going down to something the size of a barefaced compact.

Cheers

Did you build the cab yourself?

Do you have any info on what the driver is? If you can find the Xmax and Thiele-Small data, you can use them in software like WinISD to model different cab sizes and predict what might happen.

Also is it a ported/vented cab? The above data might also help in deciding whether the speaker would suit a ported or sealed cab.

Gererally (ouch!) you'll lose bass as the size of the cab reduces.

Hours of fun ahead :)

I sorta did.

The chippies on site built a concrete shutter, it wasn't needed so I pinched it, made a few alterations and hey presto, bass cab. The driver's a car sub. All I know about it, is its a dual voice coil (?), its 15", it's rated at 1400w at 4ohm and it's bright orange. The cab is ported at the moment.

Xmax? Thiele small?

That makes sense as at the moment it's really REALLY boomy. When using it, the eq on my amp has to have the bass reduced considerably, but the cab does a really good Motown kinda sound.

If it's a sub I doubt any size can will make it do higher frequencies. It's designed to do bottom and nothing else.

Try to google the sub manufacturer and dig out a data sheet.

Building a cab is not just a case of building a box, cutting a hole and putting a speaker in. Check out the DIY cab thread.

Here's what their web page says:

Product details
Orange Injected Polypropylene Cone
Specially Treated Black Foam Edge Suspension
Silver Plated Terminal
Rubber Magnet Boot for Better Protection
2.5'' High Temperature Kapton Voice Coil
4 Ohm Impedance
700 Watts RMS/1400 Watts Peak
SPL @ 1W/1M: 86dB
Overall Diameter: 14.57''
Mounting Depth: 5.87''
Magnet Weight: 120 oz.
Sold as : Unit

[quote name='xgsjx' timestamp='1358031715' post='1932238']
See if you can sell it to a boy racer & have a look in the "Cabs For Sale" section on here. Should be able to get something better for less than £100?
[/quote]

Good idea, but the driver's only £45ish new.

As I said, it was only a means to an end. Needed a cab, needed one cheap and wanted it loud, Had the box readily a available and it all kinda came together from there.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1358031631' post='1932236']
How so? Sorry, the amp and speaker side of things really aren't my area.
[/quote]

Means it needs 8 to 16x as much power to reach the same volume as a fairly basic suitable for bass guitar 15" driver. The DB rating is how loud it is with 1w of input power. The Eminece Delta 15, which is in the scheme of things a cheapy, has 100db sensitivity, and you need to double power to get each extra 3db.

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1358033257' post='1932267']
Ah right.

So, in a nutshell, don't bother, wait until I can eventually afford a small, decent cab?
[/quote]

Yes.
Lot's of stuff out there even brand new that are cheap as chips and will be a lot more suitable for the job.
My cabs for example. Weigh 11.4kgs each and go pretty darn loud, sound pretty decent, and I'm selling for less than £200 each.

Guest bassman7755

That driver you have looks like a decent ish spec car subwoofer so I would be tempted to try to sell it - you might get £30-£40 for it say which, plus the price of a few rounds of beers, puts you in the running to maybe get something like this [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ashdown-2x10-Mag-II-250W-Bass-Cabinet-/160952914333?pt=UK_ConElec_SpeakersPASystems_RL&hash=item25798a919d"]http://www.ebay.co.u...=item25798a919d[/url]. Even the cheapest "proper" bass cab is going to destroy your homebrew thing for tone.

Edited by bassman7755