Why become a member? ×

Someone please tell me how to wire a P/J

Jimryan

Evening all,

The BC relay bass is coming along nicely.

To wire it up, is was going to use my old P bass harness and add an additional volume pot.

Just checked out the harness I have, jack connected to a tone pot (with no cap), wired to a tone pot (with cap).

Now, wiring definitely isn't my speciality, but I thought only the tone had a capacitor?

James

[quote name='kevin_lindsay' timestamp='1358279775' post='1936298']
Here you go mate
http://www.fender.com/en-GB/support/articles/bass-guitar-service-diagrams/

The Frank Bello bass is a P / J layout, or the Hot Rod Precision.
[/quote]

Cheers, the hot rod P is pretty much the same as the SD diagram. What's throwing me off the most is the capacitor on the volume pot from the P. Is it ok to leave it on? Should I take it off? Does a tone pot work without one?

Saying that though, this thread's outcome is all done to whether or not I can find my soldering iron. If not, I'll take it to a shop, but I'd rather do it myself. I quite enjoy the tinkering/learning side of things.

As an additional side note: if you get a weak, thin sounding result with both pickups turned up then you need to reverse the connection of one of them (the hot and the earth). It's a 50/50 shot, I got it wrong with my Yamaha BB450. Reversed the bridge pickup, and then it was sorted.