Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

[quote name='gary mac' timestamp='1375727128' post='2164852']
Well done chaps. so it's coming south again.

Tim, enjoy the gig on the 10th.

My Aug gigs are the 17th and 23rd.

I suspect the 17th would be the best in terms of crowd size.

Tim and I will get it sorted. :)
[/quote]

Great! You can use it on both gigs if there's still no great demand for it (if you want to, that is). Hopefully there will be a few more stepping up to it now because it's in a more densely populated area where more members live.

I'm wondering if we start a new topic each time the bass gets into a new area. Some title like "Calling all bass players in the xxxx area." Then in the body say the relay bass is in your area please check the stickied thread.

Just to bring attention back here.

I'd pretty much forgotten we were even doing a relay and popped in here by chance.

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1375728285' post='2164870']
BTW the bass has 3 new sets of strings courtesy of Milty :sun_bespectacled: ! The existing ones are really slap and poppy -TimR do you want these leaving on?
[/quote]

Yes. I'll play anything. It's all in the fingers ;)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1375728338' post='2164873']
I'm wondering if we start a new topic each time the bass gets into a new area. Some title like "Calling all bass players in the xxxx area." Then in the body say the relay bass is in your area please check the stickied thread.

Just to bring attention back here.

I'd pretty much forgotten we were even doing a relay and popped in here by chance.
[/quote]

Tim, you need to follow us on Facebook! :)

Great news to see that it's moving again guys, well done. Also, Pete, how's the polo looking in respect of space for names on the back? Depending on how that's looking, I may have to ask Ped for an additional one. I imagine the log book should still have plenty of pages left in it.

If either of those run out of space, we'll sort out a replacement, and I'll have the old ones sent here to go in the additional bits auction box.

The polo shirt has plenty of room for signatures and the log book is fine - kinda made me smile that Rhino signed at the back thinking that he was the first person in the book ( see Donnys post above ^^ ) ! BTW Jim, i did a thing on local radio which went down well I think - and I tried the papers ...seems the trouble there was that they ran out of space covering local carnivals and by the time that space became available it was 'yesterdays news' . So strike whilst the iron is hot people when it comes to the media ( today newspaper tomorrows fish and chips wrapper !) ....its a great cause and I have to say a lot of fun. Big thanks to Jimbo for having the idea in the first place . I feel pretty chuffed to be 'one of the guys' that have stepped up to the mark. Its always easier to find a reason not to bother ...so hats off to everyone who has taken part to date !
:hi:

...and of course perhaps more importantly , hats off to everyone who is about to take part in the future :hi:!!

Edited by ubassman

[quote name='ubassman' timestamp='1375746150' post='2165225']
The polo shirt has plenty of room for signatures and the log book is fine - kinda made me smile that Rhino signed at the back thinking that he was the first person in the book ( see Donnys post above ^^ ) ! BTW Jim, i did a thing on local radio which went down well I think - and I tried the papers ...seems the trouble there was that they ran out of space covering local carnivals and by the time that space became available it was 'yesterdays news' . So strike whilst the iron is hot people when it comes to the media ( today newspaper tomorrows fish and chips wrapper !) ....its a great cause and I have to say a lot of fun. Big thanks to Jimbo for having the idea in the first place . I feel pretty chuffed to be 'one of the guys' that have stepped up to the mark. Its always easier to find a reason not to bother ...so hats off to everyone who has taken part to date !
:hi:

...and of course perhaps more importantly , hats off to everyone who is about to take part in the future :hi:!!
[/quote]

Well said! :) And hopefully those who take part in the future is a long list of people! I suppose I best organise something for me to use it at soon! :D

Sorry to barge in like this - Could you please post the planned schedule/route for the bass? We might have a star willing to be photographed with it some time between 12th and 24th of this month, and he's in London, so I'd love to see if we can have you guys play it [i]and[/i] pass it through his hands as well.

Thanks!

I'm waiting to hear about the preferred timings for the meetup and mini-photoshoot. Hopefully we can work something out without interfering with either of Gary's gigs. If we should hit a timing problem, you and I can meet in London one evening, and I can collect and keep the Baton temporarily.

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1375819030' post='2166190']
If Tim doesn't have the opportunity to do that before his gig, and if I end up taking delivery of the bass for a day or two, I can clean and re-string it, no prob. Will feel a bit weird and/or awkward to tune up a righty bass, but it's going to be fun... :D :lol: :P
[/quote]

It's the same as a lefty bass, except EADG not GDAE :D

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1375819298' post='2166198']
Oh, really???? :lol:

Jokes aside, if it ends up with me I may also check if it needs the saddles adjusted and intonation fixed after the new strings are on. Still weird to do all that the wrong way round! :P
[/quote]

Great! I had asked about the general condition of it in an earlier post, but that was ignore, Peter! :angry:

:lol: :P

CLEAN IT???!!!

You can't clean it! You'll erase all the majesty and all the funk it has collected!

We are but conduits for The Baton. I think even restringing it is heresay, maybe if a string breaks but hey...

I shall receive the bass and pass it on adding nothing but funk and taking nothing but pleasure in the process. (Although I may tune it, if absolutely necessary)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1375869646' post='2166621']
CLEAN IT???!!!

You can't clean it! You'll erase all the majesty and all the funk it has collected!

We are but conduits for The Baton. I think even restringing it is heresay, maybe if a string breaks but hey...

I shall receive the bass and pass it on adding nothing but funk and taking nothing but pleasure in the process. (Although I may tune it, if absolutely necessary)
[/quote]

:D Alright then!

Right, let's leave aside the cleanliness issue (!!) and get back to the Baton's travels.

A little background to our current work:
Although we appear to have got nowhere with my press release when I initially sent it to those papers I mentioned a few pages earlier, at least we (as in the BCRelay team with me acting as PR) have got in touch with journalist/PR Lars Mullen through Donald (Donnyboy). Lars is fully behind the project and is working extremely hard behind the scenes to help us get our article in one or more music magazines, and also to put us in touch with two well known bassists who have agreed to get involved and be photographed with the Baton.

Since these stars are currently busy, the plan at the moment is for Tim and Gary to go ahead with their gigs as planned, and then make sure the bass stays in London for the foreseeable future. (I'm happy to give it shelter and a bit of TLC while it's resting between gigs!)
That means - if anyone else in London has a gig in the next couple of weeks or so and would like to get involved, now is the time to make yourself known.

Another good idea would be for us to keep the bass in London until the South East Bass Bash on 21st September, and take it to the bash. It would be awesome to have the Baton played by all of us - well, except Throwoff and me, that is, unless we give it a go upside-down! :rolleyes: :D We would also make sure to ask any VIP guests to have their photo taken with it. And then the intention would be to create as much social media buzz and exposure as possible.

So - Tim, Gary, the Baton is all yours, and then we'll wait for someone else to step forward :)

Edited by bluejay

Baton collected from Peter (Ubassman) at Matlock station car park.
The plan is that tomorrow I pass it on to TimR at South Mimms Services on the M25.

It was lovely to meet Peter and Mrs Ubassman today for a brief time.
I confessed to Peter Id' never even laid a hand on a double bass.
He's offered to put that right... :P :)

[quote name='Len_derby' timestamp='1376058188' post='2169152']
Baton collected from Peter (Ubassman) at Matlock station car park.
The plan is that tomorrow I pass it on to TimR at South Mimms Services on the M25.

It was lovely to meet Peter and Mrs Ubassman today for a brief time.
I confessed to Peter Id' never even laid a hand on a double bass.
He's offered to put that right... :P :)
[/quote]

Instant click with Len-derby :drinks: - thats the thing with this bass relay thing ...the people who take part seem to be tuned into life on a different wavelength to most people you come across day to day !

A meet up in a month for a DB sesh ...tis in the diary !!