Why become a member? ×

THE Bass Relay Thread

Jimryan

[quote name='bluejay' timestamp='1376469492' post='2174219']
LOL :D

In other news, I tweeted Music Industry News (as myself, not as BC) and got them to send me a PDF of the pages where our Relay article appears. So, if someone would like a copy, just ask me and I'll forward it to you.
[/quote]

I'd love a copy, if you don't mind? :D I'm getting quite the little collection of memorabilia here :)

I've literally just bought some tools and am refretting my own guitar. If it goes well, and nobody local is willing to do the work on it, you could courier it to me, and I'd spend all the time necessary to do it right (completely free of charge, of course). Since I have a fair amount of time, it probably wouldn't take more than a few days (unless I needed to order something, but hopefully all ordering would be done and delivered before the bass even arrives with me, if that's the case!).

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1376607669' post='2176913']
Where do you stop?

New strings...
New pickups...
New bridge...
New body...
New paint job...
New neck...
New tuners...
[/quote]

Em, I think we stop at "new frets". It's something that needs done on every guitar or bass at some point. Painting the body wouldn't make any difference. The difference a bridge would make would be negligible, or even irrelevant, strings are going to get changed at some point (strings wear out), there's no need for new pickups, and as far as I'm aware, no need for a new neck or tuners. :)

[quote name='Donnyboy' timestamp='1376609759' post='2176950']
Just leave it as it is , warts, missing frets and and all. Change strings as needs must , but don't bugger about with it any more!
[/quote]

Sure, but we need to make sure it's at least playable, don't we? It's seeing a fair bit of action, so I would imagine there's a fair bit of wear on the frets, which isn't ideal. If it needs it done, it needs it done, that's what I reckon.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1376610311' post='2176956']
Sure, but we need to make sure it's at least playable, don't we? It's seeing a fair bit of action, so I would imagine there's a fair bit of wear on the frets, which isn't ideal. If it needs it done, it needs it done, that's what I reckon.
[/quote]

It's been played multiple times now?

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1376630796' post='2176998']
17 people have played it. The majority of them for one song. It's being transported in a hard case.

I played the bass on Saturday.[b] It works and has character. We should leave it as is.[/b]
[/quote]

I agree with Tim, but what if we could somehow make money for the cause out of it being 'fixed'????

PS - Both times I used the baton it was the only bass I took with me. I found it perfectly useable.
But then again, my standards are low. Just look at the people I've been photographed standing next to...