Why become a member? ×

If I had a spare couple of grand....(Mike Lull content)

umcoo

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358874372' post='1946391']
Rock music is middle aged music nowadays anyway.[/quote]

Not sure if this is entirely true. The young master discreet (10) loves to rock out, as does our guitarist's son (14) and daughter (11).

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358873981' post='1946386']
I has no idea people were so touchy about their age![/quote]

I'm not touchy about it. I'm getting older is all. Like everyone else. Like YOU!! Bwa-ha-ha-HAAH!! :lol:
Sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable. :P

Edited by discreet

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1358876942' post='1946439']
Not sure if this is entirely true. The young master discreet (10) loves to rock out, as does our guitarist's son (14) and daughter (11).

I'm not touchy about it. I'm getting older is all. Like everyone else. Like YOU!! Bwa-ha-ha-HAAH!! :lol:
Sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable. :P
[/quote]

You're right , but rock music is not exclusively for the young as it once was , say 40 years ago . The days when rock music was seen as a challenge to the establishment and the vanguard of social change are long , long gone . Nowadays it's just another consumer item .

That remark about age wasn't directed at you by the way , it referred to earlier posts about this ( apparently ) touchy subject . I've been middle aged for some time now , depending on who you believe . I am looking forward to getting older - I see myself as being dapper and surprisingly ( disturbingly ) virile for some years yet , even if it takes a bit more effort !

Edited by Dingus

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358873981' post='1946386']
I wish I'd never said anything now ! I has no idea people were so touchy about their age ! I should have known better .
[/quote]

It's not my age I'm touchy about. It's being told I can't/shouldn't do certain things because of it. I simply don't accept that. I might start accepting it when my body or mind can no longer keep up, but until then I'll carry on doing the things I want to do, no matter how age inappropriate western society thinks they are.

And after a couple of years of being GAS free, I really want a 5-string Lull T-Bass...

Edited by BigRedX

Be very, very, careful about bass direct. I went in the other day for a 'look around' and came out with a Vigier 5 stringer... Mark must have some subliminal auto-suggestion track running in the background:

'ooh... look at this bass, it's beautiful, buy it now... oh, no, wait, look at *that* bass over there, buy that one instead... oh, no, wait, look at... ' and so on

:)

[quote name='BigRedX' timestamp='1358880555' post='1946526']
It's not my age I'm touchy about. It's being told I can't/shouldn't do certain things because of it. I simply don't accept that. I might start accepting it when my body or mind can no longer keep up, but until then I'll carry on doing the things I want to do, no matter how age inappropriate western society thinks they are.

And after a couple of years of being GAS free, I really want a 5-string Lull T-Bass...
[/quote]

I have never played one of Mike Lulls ' basses but a friend of mine who has one swears by it and says it is the best playing and best sounding bass he has ever owned , and this guy has owned a lot of high - end basses . The T Birds ( and Fender -style derivatives ) look appealing to, me because they will sound unique . Light hearted remarks about age aside , I could never get on with the [i]very [/i]long - feeling neck on a regular Gibson Thunderbird bass or the neck dive that goes along with it , despite the great sound they have . I got offered a very cheap artist deal Thunderbird by Gibson about twenty years ago when I was in a hard rock band and had to decline due to the fact I found them unusable . These Lull T Birds are supposed to be perfectly balanced to counteract neck dive , but I would have to play one to see how they felt overall before buying . Some of the colour combinations are sumptuous and the sound will no doubt match . Pretty reasonable price for a top quality bass , too.

Edited by Dingus

The Lull headstock shape does nothing for me, It is blandis in extreamis. I'd have the Lull TBird if it was not for this bit of vanilla. By the way, I'm just about to turn 46 and I play a Gibbo Thunderbird, and with no apologies I must say I look and feel absolutely monu-f***ing-mental :yarr:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :D[/size]

[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1358883388' post='1946599']
The Lull headstock shape does nothing for me, It is blandis in extreamis. I'd have the Lull TBird if it was not for this bit of vanilla. By the way, I'm just about to turn 46 and I play a Gibbo Thunderbird, and with no apologies I must say I look and feel absolutely monu-f***ing-mental :yarr:[size=4] :D[/size]
[/quote]

Have you got very long arms ?

[quote name='GazWills' timestamp='1358873126' post='1946371']
Jeff Ament will be 50 in march and still looks very cool with his lull Sig t-bird bass... 50 is the new 30 ;)
[/quote]

Pearl Jam fan and I like Jeff Ament's playing, however, he has never been or looked cool. It's just one of those things I'm afraid :)

[b] If I had a spare couple of grand...[size=3]I'd buy a reliable car :D[/size][/b]

[quote name='Marvin' timestamp='1358886286' post='1946667']
Pearl Jam fan and I like Jeff Ament's playing, however, he has never been or looked cool. It's just one of those things I'm afraid :)[b][size=3] :D[/size][/b]
[/quote]

i actually think all of PJ look pretty cool considering they are getting on in years...

[quote name='Dingus' timestamp='1358882666' post='1946581']
I have never played one of Mike Lulls ' basses but a friend of mine who has one swears by it and says it is the best playing and best sounding bass he has ever owned , and this guy has owned a lot of high - end basses . The T Birds ( and Fender -style derivatives ) look appealing to, me because they will sound unique . Light hearted remarks about age aside , I could never get on with the [i]very [/i]long - feeling neck on a regular Gibson Thunderbird bass or the neck dive that goes along with it , despite the great sound they have . I got offered a very cheap artist deal Thunderbird by Gibson about twenty years ago when I was in a hard rock band and had to decline due to the fact I found them unusable . These Lull T Birds are supposed to be perfectly balanced to counteract neck dive , but I would have to play one to see how they felt overall before buying . Some of the colour combinations are sumptuous and the sound will no doubt match . Pretty reasonable price for a top quality bass , too.
[/quote]
[quote name='Billy Apple' timestamp='1358883388' post='1946599']
The Lull headstock shape does nothing for me, It is blandis in extreamis. I'd have the Lull TBird if it was not for this bit of vanilla. By the way, I'm just about to turn 46 and I play a Gibbo Thunderbird, and with no apologies I must say I look and feel absolutely monu-f***ing-mental :yarr: :D
[/quote]

There's two things that would make me want to spend some serious time with a Lull T-Bass before parting with my cash.

One is the Fender-style non-angled headstock. The shape doesn't bother me particularly, a more Thunderbird one would look better, but I'm guessing that this is an area where Lull has managed to reduce neck dive; but I really don't like having to wind masses of single around machine head posts to get a decent break angle over the nut, and I really hate string trees. Neither do anything IMO to help initial tuning stability, and the difference in break angles of the string plays havoc with their compliance.

The second is the decision to have a bolt-on neck. The Thunderbird already has a less than brilliant upper-fret access and AFAICS the design of the Lull joint is going to reduce it even more - it's certainly got to more restrictive than the original through neck. It might only be a fret or two but that might make all the difference to me.

TBH the main reasons I like the Lull version is that it's the only T-Bird style bass that is available as a 5-string version with something approaching the sound and looks of the original 1960s Gibson models. Playing the actual thing might still put me off.