Why become a member? ×

Overwater Perception 5 build.

rk7

Thank you Myke, I'm also very taken with the grain on the headstock.

I'm beyond impatience now, really excited about this build.

In discussion yesterday it appears that another three weeks should see the bass ready to be collected. What a day that will be!

RK

[quote name='captainhaddock' timestamp='1359661180' post='1958505']
Very nice bass,that Ziricote top is awesome!!!!!
[/quote]

Thank you Captain.

This piece was part of Chris May's Special Reserve, I believe. The matching headstock veneer, and 'soon-to-be matching' ramp should all complement the topwood. Also, the wood is still in its untreated state. When the finishing is sprayed on it will 'pop' and look even more awesome hopefully.

RK

[quote name='captainhaddock' timestamp='1359669098' post='1958666']
Cool can't wait to see it when its done waiting for a custom build is a real pain ain't it!!
[/quote]

Yeah, I know what you mean.

On the one hand I am very, very lucky to be in a position to commission a bass like this, but on the other hand yes, its tough waiting for the bass to be completed. I live close to Overwater so am able to call in regularly and visit it.

Clearly the main focus at the moment is around the woodwork, which I am over the moon with, but the sound we are hoping to achieve should be equally good. 'Warm and very punchy' is Martins prediction. I think he will be spot on.

RK

I visited Overwater today, to have the back of the bass shaped to fit me. Martin obliged, and a few pics were taken!

5pq4xf.jpg

The master at work!

m9u2jl.jpg

The master at play!

2qa05xd.jpg

The pupil at play!

14wubyb.jpg

Carving detail. Beautiful work.

bi5qwi.jpg

Body detail. Lovely.

Impressions from today are that the bass is very compact, comfortable (34" scale) and reasonably lightwight considering the wood choice.

The Ziricote is virtually edible! ha ha

deep joy

RK

Edited by rk7

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1359846428' post='1961241']
That is a fantastic looking bass! :)

I've always been a sucker for a nice wooden finish and this certainly ticks all my boxes.
[/quote]

Thank you Ian, I'm really pleased with the bass. As are the guys at Overwater, which is most pleasing of all.

The bass is off into sanding next, and then finishing, which will really bring the wood to life!

Can't wait!

RK

I've never really got overwater's shapes... seeing how the body shape fits in with the player I do!

Hi Luke,

I particularly like the Perception bodyshape, as it is very compact, (rather like me!) Dunno if thats a compliment or not actually. Hmm, must ask later! ha ha.

The only thing I occasionally struggled with on my other Perception was scale length, but that has been addressed with this one. It feels 'right'.

thank you please

RK Edited by rk7

[quote name='rk7' timestamp='1359879172' post='1961401']

Thank you Ian, I'm really pleased with the bass. As are the guys at Overwater, which is most pleasing of all.

The bass is off into sanding next, and then finishing, which will really bring the wood to life!

Can't wait!

RK
[/quote]

I'll be watching out for the pics. :)

This has been a fantastic build diary. Looking forward to seeing he finished instrument!

I too was unaware that Overwater build a thru neck Preception. Wished I knew that back when I ordered my Progress III, but that was 10yrs ago so things might have changed since then. Much prefer the smaller size of the Perception body.

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1360018494' post='1963763']
This has been a fantastic build diary. Looking forward to seeing he finished instrument!

I too was unaware that Overwater build a thru neck Preception. Wished I knew that back when I ordered my Progress III, but that was 10yrs ago so things might have changed since then. Much prefer the smaller size of the Perception body.
[/quote]

Yes Shizznit, Overwater say the NT Perception choice is getting more popular. There's another being built alongside mine, at the moment, but in a much lighter wood choice. I'll try and get a pic of them both.

RK

I'm used to describing instruments as 'really nice' but that is truly gorgeous. :)

EDIT: Apologies to Angie, I'm sure she's gorgeous as well. :lol:

Thank you Ian!

The bass is turning out to be more than I expected, and the pics really don't do it justice.

Martin was telling me yesterday that things will slow down a bit on the photo front just now, until the bass is sanded and finished. The only remaining woodwork is to rout out the reliefs for the individual Hipshot bridge pieces, but he has promised a pic when that is done.

I'm really looking forward to seeing the lacquer applied. Martin does a 'magic trick' during wood selection, where he pours alcohol/thinners on the pieces and the full grain is revealed. Both the Ziricote and the Wenge look amazing when this is done so I can't wait for Finishing!

Edited by rk7