Why become a member? ×

Replacing band members.The "Happy" ending.

Les

Our guitarist is leaving, no pressure, he'll stay till we replace him, but it's turning into a bit of a pain dealing with people who answer our ads.

We've had about 8 or 9 respond, saying things like "love the stuff" "would love to try out for you" etc etc
but when push comes to shove and I'm trying to sort an audition out for them I keep getting allsorts of excuses.

A couple came to watch us last week and one was good enough to introduce himself but said he didn't think he could do do it, fair enough, that was honest and useful to us. The other sent an email saying he didn't think it was for him, again useful.

Then I get things like, "thanks Les but I've found a band local and I'm joining them",I'm thinking, great, well done, good luck to you, but why did you put your advert back up the day after you told me you were sorted ? And various other lame things.

Not bothered if you don't want to join the band but don't respond, you saw the youtube vids, you saw the setlist, you saw the giglist, WHY ?

I've never really had this problem before cos' I've usually been in bands with mates etc and not had to do a lot of replacing.

I have seen various post's on here lamenting the way folk mess about in this kind of scenario but it's all frustratingly new to me.

In fairness, they weren't all like this and we have 2 poss 3 to audition next week.

Excluding the 2 who came to watch us and the 2 who are auditioning it's still a 50% mess about.

Edited by Les

[quote name='Sean' timestamp='1359410154' post='1954464']
It's your apostrophe abuse that would put me off. But then again, I'm a pedantic tw@t.
[/quote]

Sorry, your quite right. Written with a touch of venom I'm afraid. :D But, I didn't write the ad's so they can't hold that against the band.

I feel your pain,I'm currently trying to replace the....drummer : (
Just had a reply to my ad saying he's got loads of sticks but asking if we have a drum kit for him to use when we gig...
Couldn't make it up.
Another says the three songs I sent him are all new to him and as he can't rehearse at home he won't be able to learn them for the audition...
Wtf did he think learning two sets was going to take then?
Must go for a weep..

[quote name='Coilte' timestamp='1359456621' post='1954914']
It is par for the course when looking for new band members.
I think it boils down to people thinking they are better than they are.
Then when it comes to the crunch, they get cold feet.
[/quote]

It must be.

I could accept that a bit more if we were a young band in our 20's and getting people who have only played a few years and may be dipping their toe into bands but we're not. The retiring guitarist is 52 and the remaining members are 48,49 and 50, so we're not kids.

The guys replying to the ad are our age or older and all (according to what they say) seem to have a track record. Surely at that age and experience you can look at a set list, watch a few videos and know to a fairly certain degree if you could pull it off or not ? :(

Hadn't thought about Gumtree, as someone mentioned earlier. Is that a reasonable resource or am I opening up a whole new world of pain using something that isn't muso specific ?

Sadly there will always be those that talk a good game but can't pull it off live. The dreamers, the bedroom megastars (some of these are frequently excellent technical players but put them in front of an audience of more than 2 people and they turn into novices). Then there are those who won't put a shift in when it comes to the tedious but vital non musical aspects of actually keeping a band running. Fortunately I've not had to do a lot of auditioning but enough to know there's an amazing assortment of oddballs cruising through the want ads just itching to come and take your time up with no end product. At least it has given me the perspective to know what the other side is going through when I'm auditioning for someone else.

In short: The majority of 'musicians' are seriously deluded timewasters, tyre-kickers, out-and-out silly tossers and apostrophe abuser's. All part of life's rich tapestry! But unfortunately it smells faintly of poo.

I hope you find someone who 1) is none of the above, and 2) can actually play the guitar. :)

Edited by discreet

Discreet is correct I've been looking to join a band or at least i'm trying to find someone to jam with & I have answered loads of adverts & never get a response at all.What I do is send a response & give it two weeks . then answer another one.
I'm guessing some are answering several at the same time, expecting most will not get back to you at all. I'm not saying that its the right way of doing it though.

Bloody musicians aye...who'd ave em ?

Over the past 10yrs or so, I have never auditioned a new band member without either knowing them already or have come highly recommended by another good musician. I'm lucky in the sense that my network of friends are mostly experienced musicians, so when word gets around someone will surface. It has been a successful method, but the downside to that you might find yourself waiting a while for the right person to audition. The response is not as instant as placing an ad on the interweb, local press or in a music shop. But, it does help to cut the fat when it comes to wasting your time with lemons.

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1359423574' post='1954658']
Just had a reply to my ad saying he's got loads of sticks but asking if we have a drum kit for him to use when we gig...
Couldn't make it up.
[/quote]

But you must have, right? You made it up? If that quote is genuine, then it's one for the all-time Hall Of Fame. :lol:

Nope, it's true.
I'll post the whole reply if you like.

Email: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Message:hi i been playing drums for about 26 years in clubs and pubs all over the world. i have played many different kits ,small ,medium and large.i have a big collection of sticks mainly wooden ones ,but also have some brushes for trad jazz stuff and african tribal music.i dont have a kit at the moment and wondered if your band could supply one for when we do a gig. chris
28 01 2013 22:20:51

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='shizznit' timestamp='1359462764' post='1955039']...it does help to cut the fat when it comes to wasting your time with lemons.[/quote]

I really like the 'ring' of this..! Very eloquent; nice..! :)

[quote name='Monckyman' timestamp='1359467294' post='1955139']...i dont have a kit at the moment and wondered if your band could supply one for when we do a gig...[/quote]

...means he has several vintage kits, but they're too valuable to gig with. You must have a spare Yamahe Custom for rehersal, surely..? Could he not use that, and spare his precious 'collector' kits fom the abuse they'd receive on the road..? :mellow:

Update.
I replied along the lines of having plenty of equipped drummers to audition and that perhaps he might consider looking elsewhere.
His reply..

"Thanks for getting back to me so soon your right I do have plenty of sticks if fact the wife jokes about how many I have (it's quite funny) anyway I have managed to find a kit but it doesn't come with any symbols but I think we'll get by on the night especially on the backing tracks as I am quite a good mime . What time do you want me to be there for and can you send directions ,chris "

Had a bit of a moment at the word mime, but replied courteously that he probably wasn't what we were looking for in a drummer.
It's prob a wind up but I'm having a very strange day and nothing seems real.

Edited by Monckyman

[quote name='stevie' timestamp='1359475832' post='1955327']
What about singers who think their only obligation is to bring a mic and are happy to let the others in the band buy the PA? How common is that or have we just been unlucky?
[/quote]

Nope. Our current singer does this. To be fair though, I've played with singers who buy the whole PA themselves (and don't charge the band a hire charge!).

Edited by Conan