Why become a member? ×

Ignorant Band Members?

thebigyin

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1359756364' post='1960071']
I'm one of those Luddites who does not have a mobile phone ( shock horror )
I stay in touch with band members by landline and our weekly rehearsal and now even by that new e-mail thingy .
All the bands in the 60's 70's and 80's. seemed to survive just fine without a mobile phone .
When I have to endure some other person having a conversation on a mobile phone , the majority seem to be entirely without fact or substance , so I'm quite happy as I am .
PS , never missed a gig or a rehearsal , I use a calendar .
[/quote]

I think the immediacy of communication can be a bad thing.

If you organised a practice for next week at 8pm then it was organised and generally happened.
This is for two reasons:
1) it was difficult to get hold of someone when they weren't at home. Most people didn't even have answer phones. So changing things was hard.
2) because of 1), other things didn't get changed either and hence didn't impact on previous commitments.

There seems to be a lot of people who are quite happy to cancel something because something "better" comes along.

[quote name='martin8708' timestamp='1359756364' post='1960071']
I'm one of those Luddites who does not have a mobile phone ( shock horror )
I stay in touch with band members by landline and our weekly rehearsal and now even by that new e-mail thingy .
All the bands in the 60's 70's and 80's. seemed to survive just fine without a mobile phone .
When I have to endure some other person having a conversation on a mobile phone , the majority seem to be entirely without fact or substance , so I'm quite happy as I am .
PS , never missed a gig or a rehearsal , I use a calendar .
[/quote]

whatever works for you, but having a mobile phone does not mean you have to "miss out" on anything you already do. It just gives you other options (if you wanted them).

Not every mobile phone user is a slave to it.

I have wasted a lot less time waiting for people doing nothing since the advent of mobile phones, as people can keep eachother informed of last minute changes. Nah, I'm not going back to 1970! :lol: Not me!

[quote name='Lozz196' timestamp='1359705420' post='1958954']
in one of my bands the guitarist is like this. he never has the time to respond to texts as he`s so busy.

Yet has enough time to update facebook on how many sausages he had for breakfast..............
[/quote]

oh yes I know some people like that.
Mind you they would probably say the same thing about me and BC lol.

My mobile alarm still works when the phone is switched off :)

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1359759851' post='1960151']
If you organised a practice for next week at 8pm then it was organised and generally happened.
This is for two reasons:
1) it was difficult to get hold of someone when they weren't at home. Most people didn't even have answer phones. So changing things was hard.
2) because of 1), other things didn't get changed either and hence didn't impact on previous commitments.
[/quote]

Tru dat. When I was a kid living at home we didn't even have a landline. So you had to go to the nearest phone box and hope whoever you were ringing was in. No voicemail or even answerphones back then.

You could eventually get hold of someone, arrange a meeting, walk all the way across town in the rain, and find they were out - they forgot about it, or there was an emergency or whatever - because it wasn't easy to confirm meetings like it is today.

The advantage (if any) was that when you did finally hook up with people the experience was 'worth' more because it was hard to organise in the first place... make sense? Eeh, y'tell t'young people of today that and they won't believer yer.

I find it amusing that now we have instantaneous 24/7 communication available, no-one seems to have anything interesting to say. Ha, ha, ha! :lol:

Edited by discreet

[quote name='TimR' timestamp='1359808309' post='1960548']
Not to mention the 3 rings from a pre-arranged phone box that meant come and pick me up.
[/quote]

Oo-er :unsure:[size=4] ...[/size][size=4] [/size][size=4] [/size][size=4]well I was only living in the unsophisticated provinces at the time... ;) :D[/size]

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1359809013' post='1960568']
...Can't see it catching on here though - our society doesn't seem that big on contrition.
[/quote]

That's not contrition, it's perversion. Why should being in a band mean you can't be in a relationship?
What kind of management style is this, anyway? Surely it's a breach of human rights!

[quote name='discreet' timestamp='1359809371' post='1960576']
That's not contrition, it's perversion. Why should being in a band mean you can't be in a relationship?
What kind of management style is this, anyway? Surely it's a breach of human rights!
[/quote]

I'm sure she was not forced to be part of that "band". If those were the conditions, ridiculous as they may be, and she agreed... then so be it.

I would not personally agree to such conditions, but the "band" she was in is not your traditional "band", and it seems that one of the things they sell is some (weird to me) idea of childlike cuteness, and seeing publicly dating seems to be against it.

It's all terribly silly, in my opinion... but if one of the conditions to be in a "band" is to abjure the colour yellow, and the idea is to portrait yellow as a terrible colour and extend the band life to the personal life... then if you accept and you are seeing wearing an all yellow suit, don't be surprised if they telll you you are no longer suitable

Not a big deal, is it?

So she was some kind of "celebrity" in Japan, and?

Interesting views. I'm with mcnach - you agree a deal and you should stick to it. If you get found out when breaking it then you take responsibility for it. Seems to be more the Japanese way of 'honour' than in the west where the knee jerk reaction is increasingly to run crying to a lawyer or some 'rights' organisation to moan about how unfair the world is and try to displace the blame onto someone else.

We are all different in respect of what communication method we respond to. I prefer email (must be old) and in my case can not have phone on during work time other than for serious situations requiring immediate action (don't ask, it is not glamorous). A further factor is living in the Bermuda triangle, many, many areas of Mid Wales still have no mobile signal. You can send your text but it will be stuck in the ether.