Why become a member? ×

Thinking to relearn on EDB

AndiArbeit

Hiya from London

I used to play acoustic DB in school back in Germany. I discovered the double bass was fun after having been pressed by my parents to squeak the violin for years as young kid. Being a good subservient kid I dutifully joined the school orchestra but then found Blues, Jazz and Stray Cats far cooler. But after leaving school I never played again as I didn't ever owned a bass...

Now 25+ years later I think of starting to practice again. But I live in a flat and can't face the idea of having a huge piece of furniture, and also will only have time to practice late when the little one sleeps, ie the idea of a "silent" bass that doesn't take much space is appealing.

So I went to town and had a pluck on a Steinberger NXT, a Stagg, and an expensive Yamaha. I think I may get the Stagg with the Rosewood fingerboard; even though it's a 3/4 it's just tall enough for my 1.91m and it's more affordable. Also after reading a bit in the forums here it sounds like people don't dislike it too much...

Still - what do people think of the [url="http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Used-Electric-Double-Bass-Bow-and-Case-/300852278179?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29%26meid%3D5273866432132274881%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1013%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D271142936407%26"]gear4music[/url] EDB - it is just 249 quid; although it may be just too small for me and it doesn't look like the bridge can be easily adjusted to correct action. Or has anyone made good experiences with it?

Anyway I'm also planning to take some lessons so to relearn without getting stuff wrong to start with - are there any teachers around in South London?

Best, Andi

A friend of mine is an advanced musician, and she chose the Stagg too. She's very satisfied with it, and it has made her almost stop with bass guitars.
Bloody sin, I know, but I'm only the messenger/piano player. :)

I read the Palatino is supposed to be good, but it's a lot more expensive - here at least.

best,
bert

Edited by BassTractor