Why become a member? ×

Full of GAS tonight, advice needed

Jimryan

Evening all,

Usually I'm good and I'm happy with my precision.

However, tonight I've been thinking about what to aspire to (like to have a bass to aspire to from time to time), and with my tax return in May, now's a good time to pick what one to aspire towards (as it'll take me that long to truly decide).

My problem is as follows, I can't decide between a Bongo 4 (I had one in Desert Gold before they discontinued it and regretted selling it ever since) and a Modulus FB/FU4.

The bongo's a safe choice, I've played one and know I like it. Love the looks and I think they're fantastic instruments.

However, the modulus, I've never played one, never tried graphite at all, but love the looks. Biggest problem with the modulus, is that this is THE bass I've wanted since I started playing. I've always wanted one and always will want one.

Thoughts please.

Cheers,

James

Edited by Jimryan

Both great basses . The good news is that you can't go wrong with either . The Bongo you already know well , and in my opinion they are fantastic and unique instruments and the equal of much more expensive " boutique " basses . The Bongo is pretty unique sounding , whereas the Modulus is basically another take on the Stingray- nothing wrong with that but maybe slightly less tonal options than the Bongo . The graphite adds to the punch of the sound , and makes the Modulus a very substantial bass that could last you a lifetime . Would you be buying new or secondhand ? I've seen both basses at good prices on Basschat , and both would be a good investment in terms of resale value . Could you stretch to buying the two of them ?

I'd prefer new, but if there's a second-hand option when I get round to buying I'll take it (quality and finish being the deciding factor). There's no way I could afford both, let alone justify spending that much on basses in one hit.

I know how I'd want whatever one to be, I've the spec already in my mind, I just can't decide :-(

That's fair enough . A new Modulus will set you back up to about a thousand quid more than a new Bongo , depending on what finish and options you go for , so that is one thing to consider . This video is a pretty good comparison of a MM Stingray and a Modulus :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyrKlS8qGD4

[quote name='Jimryan' timestamp='1359842579' post='1961168']
I'm aware of the price difference, especially with how I want one. Just cautious where I've never been able to try one. I've ALWAYS wanted one though.
[/quote]

Have you ever tried a bass with a graphite neck ? If you like the feel and sound of graphite then I can't imagine that you would find much not to like about the Modulus ; its a pretty mainstream and conventional Fender / Musicman-style design when all is said and done , and you know its going to sound like a Stingray with a graphite neck . I'm sure there will be a few Basschatters out there with one of these Flea basses - why not ask if there is someone within striking distance of you with one that you could try ?

[quote name='Stan_da_man' timestamp='1359924404' post='1962200']
Make sure you try a graphite neck before you give into GAS. They're not for everyone - I used to love 'em but just prefer an old fashioned bit of wood now.
[/quote]

Good advice . I love graphite necks , although I don't own a bass with one at the moment I had a fair few in the past , but some folks never warm to their slightly clinical sound . They are best suited to people who do enjoy the sound of graphite , because they will never sound like wood no matter what you do . A Stingray with a Status neck on would be another very good option , but if you want a Modulus you want a Modulus - sometimes it's best to follow your heart .