Why become a member? ×

February Composition Competition

charic

Again through an odd combination of procrastination and being too busy I've not finished again this month. Probably for the best though as that riff I appropriated from an old song of mine ended up forming the spine of the song, so even if I had finishedI'd have probably elected not to enter it. Oh well.

Thanks for the information from everyone about DAWs, I am thinking of changing because I find Ableton a bit limiting and from what I have been told its more appropiate for DJing than recording live instruments?

Pro tools 10 seems to be highly rated and I wont be shelling out any moneys if you get what I mean, also I do like the look and feel of it. No expert, but I am told you have more options when recording live instruments and mixing e.t.c.
I want to get into a DAW and learn it deeply this is why I am considering the change now early on in my recording adventure rather than getting to involved with Ableton then deciding to change. Will check reaper out, also have a copy of Sonar as an option.

Thanks for advice I will have a think about it all and wont dive in before I am sure.

:)

[quote name='Stephen Houghton' timestamp='1361652510' post='1988937']
Thanks for the information from everyone about DAWs, I am thinking of changing because I find Ableton a bit limiting and from what I have been told its more appropiate for DJing than recording live instruments? Pro tools 10 seems to be highly rated and I wont be shelling out any moneys if you get what I mean...[/quote]

As others have mentioned, there's a lot of misinformation and 'fanboyism' around which DAW is "best". They're all much-of-a-muchness in terms of actual sound quality, although the built-in fx and processors that come packaged with each DAW can contribute to them having their own characteristic sounds.... but only if you rely on the pre-set patches.

This question has [i]everything[/i] to do with how you as an individual like to work, so the best advice is to download the demos of each DAW you're considering and test them out before making a decision. That's what I did.

Also, I'd advise against using pirated software. That's just an ethical issue for me and I certainly don't want to get all preachy about it! Your choice of course, but I know people who've had their fingers (and moreover, their wallets) quite seriously burned through being caught red handed using illegal audio 'wares, so tread carefully if you go down that route. I also think there's more of a positive psychological 'committment' involved in legally purchasing software - I think it makes you more inclined to get the most out of it. But whatever.

Keep us posted mate and happy twiddling! :)

i think pound for pound, value wise when looking to get a daw for home recording, getting reaper is always the best bet, i got my license for 37 quid i think, and its worth the money

my only issue with it are its plug ins, i find them a bit overly simplistic, and it isn't compatible with all of my guitar sim vst's which makes using it a chore for my home use

If you are talking about good value for money - Samplitude Music Studio 2013 [Smaller Brother of Samplitude Pro X ]
Is well worth a look as well. It comes with 12 gig Independence sampler sound lib [ Top, Top sounds]
The Sampler is very powerful as well...£59.99....
A very, very stable DAW.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samplitude-Anniversary-Special-Independence-Library/dp/B008U1AY7K/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

VideoTutorials
http://www.magix.com/int/samplitude-music-studio/detail/tutorials/

Garry

I have made progress on making my Miroslav Philharmonik work. Now I only have to download the instruments. There are 9 files, each taking about a half hour to download so, as I can't just sit in front of my computer for 5 hours, I have to download one every now and then. It is taking forever and I still need to learn how to use it. I think I may get my February composition up in time for November.