Why become a member? ×

Sod it, I want a real Double bass

Owencf

After practicing on my Stagg EUB for the last few months ive come to the conclusion that i want a propper Double Bass.

Any recommendations on the place to look for one? been lookin at some on Thomann tempting as the price is what i can afford if i sell my Stagg.

bugger then i'll have to look into new strings, stand, pickup ... :huh:

open to suggestions.

Just go for it. :) When you do, you'll wonder why you didn't do it years ago.

Noticing where you are, you'll have the same problem as me getting a second hand one, i guess - not much choice if any. Some good discussion of Thomann's and others here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/9103-double-bass-buying-guide/page__p__138888__hl__thomann__fromsearch__1#entry138888"]http://basschat.co.u...__1#entry138888[/url]

Edited by fatback

It seems everyone on here who's bought the lower end Thomann basses think they're good value. Gedo Musik is also worth a look - both me and Bilbo have got sub-£2k basses from them and I'm certainly happy with mine, Bilbo appears to be happy with his too.

It's really difficult to find anything as good in the used market if you've got a limited budget, so it looks like online shopping from the sausage-lovers is the way to go.

Do keep an eye on the 'for sale' here though.

If the seller was a trusted poster, I'd be inclined to just pay a deposit and travel. I drove 600 miles to get mine, just because i instinctively trusted the seller. Got a great deal and love the bass. Spent a bit on a setup, but I certainly got a better bass for my money than I would have buying new.

Then again, i must have a high risk tolerance; i buy cars that way too. :D

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1360000985' post='1963324']
So how will you get it to gigs? We just swapped our Micra (great cars, our second!) for a Focus which will fit a Db inside........hhhmmmmmm. ;)
[/quote]

Success with a micra in here:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184397-will-a-double-bass-fit-in-my-car/page__p__1774731__hl__cars__fromsearch__1#entry1774731"]http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184397-will-a-double-bass-fit-in-my-car/page__p__1774731__hl__cars__fromsearch__1#entry1774731[/url]

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360002129' post='1963365']
Listen to Caustic on my Soundcloud page. The bass cost £1400
[/quote]

Very nice, I've got a lot of listening to do!

Back on subject. Do keep checking out the For Sale page. I bought mine from here for £250. I've spent £125 on strings and about the same on a set up and it sounds great now. OK it's plywwod, it'll never be as good as a £2000+ instrument but for learning and getting into the swing of it it's a nice solid instrument.

Have fun

Steve

ill be happy if i can find a playable one for £250 within a range i can pick it up, but like it was said above
[quote name='thisnameistaken' timestamp='1359989472' post='1963031']
It's really difficult to find anything as good in the used market if you've got a limited budget, so it looks like online shopping from the sausage-lovers is the way to go.
[/quote]

ive been reading up on whats available and i might buy new or if something comes up on this awesome forum.
Though i still need to sell the Stagg atleast i still got the box :D

Gear4music bass. Will you need new strings? Yes. They come up here 2nd hand fairly regularly. Will it need the bridge filing down? Yes. A set of files will cost you about £6. Will it need the fingerboard planed true? Possibly - between £50-£100. Can you sell the case on ebay? Yes. I sold one for £120.

Will it respond like one of the great Italian masters? No. Will it be fine and dandy for going "thud" or "Bdum-dum-dum-dum? Yes

It would be cool to drop £2K (+++++++) on a bass, and there is every chance that you would love it, but you do not have to. If you feel later on that you want to upgrade then by all means do so and enjoy the process, but you do not have to spend 4 figures to get going.

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1359993174' post='1963132']
Travelling to get a double bass is a bit of a mission as we only have a Micra though for the right price i would strap myself to the roof.
[/quote]

It will fit, I used to get my DB in a Micra (old rounded model) easily. Micra long gone, DB still with me. Great car, super build quality and totally reliable.

Edited by 3below

[quote name='keeponehandloose' timestamp='1360013105' post='1963655']
which part of country are you?
[/quote]
Aberdeen, Scotland

Yo Owen, i know dont need to drop alot to get Plonkin, but id rather spend what i can to get the best possible setup.
though after the last Gear4Music incident i wouldnt touch them with a 20ft cattle prod.

[quote name='Owencf' timestamp='1360014624' post='1963684']
Aberdeen, Scotland

Yo Owen, i know dont need to drop alot to get Plonkin, but id rather spend what i can to get the best possible setup.
though after the last Gear4Music incident i wouldnt touch them with a 20ft cattle prod.
[/quote]

Far be it from me to douse your GAS :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' timestamp='1359988032' post='1962989']
i still really like my EUB and have no inclination to get a real one.
Does this make me odd?
:)
[/quote]
Yes but i'm in your club too lol
I could not afford a proper upright even if I wanted one & nowhere to store one either......but go for it mate

Horses for courses etc. :) I'm starting to GAS for an EUB, cos I'm fed up with carting the db to practices. The band would never let me gig one though, even if it sounded identical.

I fear it may be because the upright attracts all the attention so nobody is looking at me. :D

Edited by fatback

Hi - when looking to get my db several years back I ordered it direct from Strunal company. At that time they gave me a great discount on what I would have paid Thomann (Strunal were supplying Thomann). Their customer service was great and everything went very smooth - including great packaged crate. The bass played well straight from the box after changing the strings.
I have just looked at their website and there is a good list of contacts including the boss!
Good luck in your quest.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm i found a Rental place but its quite a distance from me, Train trip to Edinburgh it seems.

however i did bounce some questions at the provider Make, strings, insurance blah blah.
i do hope it works out well. cause id hate to have to start hunting again, terribly frustrating.