Why become a member? ×

RIP Gary Moore 4/4/52-6/2/11

barneyg42

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1360156625' post='1965714']
Lost to us on this day two years ago.....always will be a legend!!
[/quote]

I worked for a joinery firm this time 2 years ago, and jumped into one of the guys cars in the morning, and he picked up his paper and just shouted "f*** me lads.... Gary Moore is dead!"... I already knew, but being a bit ignorant of music back then, didn't know who he was.

Am I the only one here who thinks its a bit morbid, odd even, to remember the anniversaries of people dying? Who wants to be reminded about such sad events? My wife can't remember when her parents died (well, roughly, obviously, but couldn't tell you the date unless she looked it up) and we never mark the occasion in any way. But we regularly talk about them and the fun, happy times we had with them.

Much better, I think , to remember the good things rather than the bad. I often play Gary Moore's music, and Hendrix, and Peter Green, and a bunch of other long-dead artists, but I couldn't tell you when any of them died. Personal preferences I guess, but it can't be healthy dwelling on gloom and doom all the time can it?

Saw Gary a few times.

I'm never sure whether his Blues albums should come under the headig of 'innovative' or 'bandwagon jumping' but there's no doubt they inspired many , many players to listen to Blues music , and to Blues guitarists that may have faded into relative obscurity.

Incredible technical player with a lot of feel - shame his later audiences seemed to be just musicians with their notebooks out though.

His band made one of the worst howlers I've ever heard at a big gig when supporting B B King in Sheffield. Completely cocked up the ebd of one song.

Still - I shall continue to enjoy his music while not elevating him quite to the ranks of a Clapton or a Green.

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1360158286' post='1965769']
Am I the only one here who thinks its a bit morbid, odd even, to remember the anniversaries of people dying? Who wants to be reminded about such sad events? My wife can't remember when her parents died (well, roughly, obviously, but couldn't tell you the date unless she looked it up) and we never mark the occasion in any way. But we regularly talk about them and the fun, happy times we had with them.

Much better, I think , to remember the good things rather than the bad. I often play Gary Moore's music, and Hendrix, and Peter Green, and a bunch of other long-dead artists, but I couldn't tell you when any of them died. Personal preferences I guess, but it can't be healthy dwelling on gloom and doom all the time can it?
[/quote]

Aww thank god. I thought i was the only one who thinks like this. I pay respects to peoples birthdays not their date of death. My mum included

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1360158286' post='1965769']
Am I the only one here who thinks its a bit morbid, odd even, to remember the anniversaries of people dying?[/quote]

I can understand it a bit; just another thing that folk differ about. What I don't get is posts wishing a "Happy Birthday to...." to a dead person.
I mean IF there's a heaven and IF the subject is there - maybe they wouldn't want a count keeping of how many years of eternity they'd spent there?

[quote name='fumps' timestamp='1360158583' post='1965780']

Aww thank god. I thought i was the only one who thinks like this. I pay respects to peoples birthdays not their date of death. My mum included
[/quote]

Me too. I had my folk's names put in the book of rememberance on the date of their birthdays. Who gives a sh*t about the day they died.

Think it's a little diffrent with celebs though - we tend to get the day they bought the farm on the news and in the papers rather than their birthdays.

I've never had a text gag on a celeb's birthday !!

Plus the OP contains the date that Gary entered the world as well as the day he threw a seven , so Barney's asking us to recall a full life rather then just the end of it.

Edited by Dr.Dave

[quote name='Bassman Sam' timestamp='1360158496' post='1965777']
I think you have written Peter Green off a bit too early, he's still alive.
[/quote]

:blush: :blush: :blush:
Bloody hell - what was I thinking? In my (paper thin) defence I tend to think of him as being part of the Fleetwood Mac that died soon after he took his chemically-induced sabbatical.

But I've got a few of his Splinter Group albums so there's no excuse. Doh!

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1360158833' post='1965790']
Me too. I had my folk's names put in the book of rememberance on the date of their birthdays. Who gives a sh*t about the day they died.

Think it's a little diffrent with celebs though - we tend to get the day they bought the farm on the news and in the papers rather than their birthdays.

I've never had a text gag on a celeb's birthday !!

Plus the OP contains the date that Gary entered the world as well as the day he threw a seven , so Barney's asking us to recall a full life rather then just the end of it.
[/quote]
Yeh i suppose good way of looking at it !

[quote name='barneyg42' timestamp='1360159713' post='1965830']
I wish I hadn't bothered!
[/quote]

No mate always worth noting stuff, I was worried I'd killed a thread by saying that But I've had my view changed by Dr.Dave,,,,,,,he's a real doctor ya know.....or at least I hope so :unsure:

Mr Moore was a true legend & should be remembered for his amazing talent. we lost a great !

[quote name='flyfisher' timestamp='1360159562' post='1965823']
:blush: :blush: :blush:
Bloody hell - what was I thinking? In my (paper thin) defence I tend to think of him as being part of the Fleetwood Mac that died soon after he took his chemically-induced sabbatical.

[/quote]

I'm a big fan of the phoenix too. Never understood this 'blues band gone wrong' thing. It should be 'blues band gone different'.

Besides - I can't think of a guitar player I'd rather go see than Mr Buckingham. The most underated guitar hero ever.

Two years ago?!? Crikey. Can't believe it's been that long.

If the death of a person moves or affects you in such a way that you will always remember where you were when you heard the news, then I think it is an event that is worth remembering. For me that list is short (apart from family and friends of course).

Gary Moore is one of them. As is John Martyn. RIP both.

[quote name='Dr.Dave' timestamp='1360158507' post='1965778']
Saw Gary a few times.

I'm never sure whether his Blues albums should come under the headig of 'innovative' or 'bandwagon jumping' but there's no doubt they inspired many , many players to listen to Blues music , and to Blues guitarists that may have faded into relative obscurity.

Incredible technical player with a lot of feel - shame his later audiences seemed to be just musicians with their notebooks out though.

His band made one of the worst howlers I've ever heard at a big gig when supporting B B King in Sheffield. Completely cocked up the ebd of one song.

Still - I shall continue to enjoy his music while not elevating him quite to the ranks of a Clapton or a Green.
[/quote]

I saw him just after he'd got all the acclaim for the blues albums at The Empire in Shepherds Bush and, whilst he obviously had loads of raw talent, it remains pretty high up on my list of most boring gigs ever.

The band sat in the background looking disinterested whilst Gary threw himself around up front. Definitely a 'muso' audience all watching every move he made.

I think that, apart from free pub gigs, it's the only time I've walked out of a gig early as it all got quite depressing.

I still play the albums from that era though and try to put the gig out of my mind :(

[quote name='Conan' timestamp='1360166270' post='1966002']
Two years ago?!? Crikey. Can't believe it's been that long.

[b]If the death of a person moves or affects you in such a way that you will always remember where you were when you heard the news[/b], then I think it is an event that is worth remembering. For me that list is short (apart from family and friends of course).

Gary Moore is one of them. As is John Martyn. RIP both.
[/quote]

On my way to first ever gig with current band, our stand out song that night was Midnight Blues, still a regular in our set, keeps his memory fresh

Guest bassman7755

My favourite album is Dark Days In Paradise, I feel that this more than any other of his albums is him just doing what ever the hell he wants rather than trying to fit into some genre. Has some great bass playing by Guy Pratt on it too :D . In fact I would go as far as to say that "like angels" is his best ever song (and the bass playing is to die for).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwke9J-5qV0

Edited by bassman7755

[quote name='bassman7755' timestamp='1360181127' post='1966360']
My favourite album is Dark Days In Paradise, I feel that this more than any other of his albums is him just doing what ever the hell he wants rather than trying to fit into some genre. Has some great bass playing by Guy Pratt on it too :D . In fact I would go as far as to say that "like angels" is his best ever song (and the bass playing is to die for).

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xwke9J-5qV0[/media]
[/quote]

Earlier I was going to mention my admiration for Gary re. him making best use of quite an average voice , doubtless by effort and practise. The track you flagged up isn't one I'd even heard before but illustrates that perfectly.

And yes , it is nice to hear this great , gendre free song. The bass playing's over busy to me though - crying out for a fretless.

Not a GM fan myself (too widdly for me), but nevertheless interesting to see that Eric Clapton's upcoming
new album is going to contain a version of 'Still got the blues' apparently.
And yes, does n't seem like 2 years since his very premature demise.