Why become a member? ×

BBOT traditional style type bridge for a Jazz... in 20mm spacing?

mcnach

Does anybody know where I can find such a thing?

It's not a big issue, 19 vs 20mm, but I do feel the wider spacing more comfortable and I'm thinking about replacing the bridge in my Vintage brand Jazz for that reason. I'm playing it a lot lately and for her birthday I want to make her feel even better. Sorry, I meant for ITS birthday and make IT feel even better. ;)

I have found enough 20mm spacing bridges (60mm between E and G ridges), but not in the traditional look, which I prefer.

Does anybody know of such a beast?

You could probably get 20mm out of the old style 60s BBOTs, they've got threaded saddle pieces which allow you to position the string width ways.

[IMG]http://i751.photobucket.com/albums/xx159/richardmatthews_photos/forum%20stuff/suspectbridge.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by Fat Rich

That's an idea, although wouldn't the string tend to fall back into a "straight" position with just a small amount of encouragement?

There must be a proper 20mm out there. I can't be the only one who likes that spacing! :lol:

Strings seem to stay put pretty well, I guess if you're using lighter strings there may be less tension holding them in place. You could always choose the grooves that work for you and open them up with a file.

I think new Badass bridges come unfiled don't they? That way you could choose your spacing (plus it's the bridge Marcus Miller uses ;) :P :lol: )

Surely all you need is something with sideways adjustability - Schaller 3D (an excellent bridge IMHO) or the Hipshot A Style (Fender mount) would give you this flexibility and [i]should [/i](no guarantees) retrofit over where an old BBOT used to be. Worst thing is you'd have to fill/redrill a few holes.

EDIT: Ignore me, I've just re-read the OP and just realised that you've already been down this route. That'll teach me to skim read ;)

Edited by neepheid

[quote name='neepheid' timestamp='1360243648' post='1967237']
Surely all you need is something with sideways adjustability - Schaller 3D (an excellent bridge IMHO) or the Hipshot A Style (Fender mount) would give you this flexibility and [i]should [/i](no guarantees) retrofit over where an old BBOT used to be. Worst thing is you'd have to fill/redrill a few holes.

EDIT: Ignore me, I've just re-read the OP and just realised that you've already been down this route. That'll teach me to skim read ;)
[/quote]

:lol: no problem

yeah, I have no problem getting 20mm spacing bridges. In fact, I already have one! But I'd rather keep the look... what can I say, I'm vain that way! :P

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1360229674' post='1966934']
Strings seem to stay put pretty well, I guess if you're using lighter strings there may be less tension holding them in place. You could always choose the grooves that work for you and open them up with a file.

I think new Badass bridges come unfiled don't they? That way you could choose your spacing (plus it's the bridge Marcus Miller uses ;) :P :lol: )
[/quote]

:P :P :P and a hundred more :P

:lol:

Well, this is for a black/rosewood Jazz, not the CIJ75... which... already has a Badass (not my choice, previous owner's!!! :unsure: I'm not a MM fan! I promise!!! :lol:)

I think your idea is so far the closest one to a solution.. if I find one that doesn't cost too much just because it's "vintage style".

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' timestamp='1360252802' post='1967454']
My solution; get a BBOT baseplate and source some Squier CV P or jazz saddles and screws (they come in chrome or brass) depending on what CV they came from, 20mm spacing. Fit it all together, bingo, BBOT with 20mm spacing. HTH.
[/quote]

Now that's an option, I suppose the extra 1mm per saddle would not cause much trouble, it just means the saddles will be slightly, a tiny bit, angled... I shall try! I already have all the components, I am sure. :)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1360254579' post='1967497']
:P :P :P and a hundred more :P

:lol:

Well, this is for a black/rosewood Jazz, not the CIJ75... which... already has a Badass (not my choice, previous owner's!!! :unsure: I'm not a MM fan! I promise!!! :lol:)

I think your idea is so far the closest one to a solution.. if I find one that doesn't cost too much just because it's "vintage style".
[/quote]

You might be able to just get the threaded saddles, maybe on eBay or through someone like the BassDoc.

Can't believe the 75 already has a Badass :lol: How did those Fat Beams work out, by the way? Were they the strings you were looking for?

[quote name='KiOgon' timestamp='1360255043' post='1967510']
Just measured my AV '62 Jazz sitting next to me & it is set with each string at 20mm almost exactamundo, on the standard Vintage style Fender bridge with the screw saddles.
[/quote]

That's promising!

Could I please have you go back and measure again? :) :) :)
This time from the groove (string centre) on the E saddle, to the groove on the G saddle. This is because measuring 19 vs 20mm sometimes can be innacurate, but by measuring between the extremes you get a better reading. It should be 60mm for the 20mm bridge, and noticeable shorter otherwise.

[quote name='Fat Rich' timestamp='1360257632' post='1967603']
You might be able to just get the threaded saddles, maybe on eBay or through someone like the BassDoc.

Can't believe the 75 already has a Badass :lol: How did those Fat Beams work out, by the way? Were they the strings you were looking for?
[/quote]

Yes, the CIJ75 has the Badass... and the J-Retro I have for it... has a black plate (I know, I know! shut up! :lol:)

The Fat Beams *look* like they are the right stuff, but I have not yet tried them! Too many other things got in the way. I could change them easily enough rather than being 10min on BC, but... "Hi, my name is McNach and I am an addict" :P
I have used the Stingray instead of the SUB for those gigs where I normally would use the SUB, and I am lately using the Jazz (or the L2000) for the others... but I have another one on Sunday for which I'd like to use the SUB, so the Fat Beams will be on this weekend. I will report back.

Update: I just installed one of those Fender bridges.. it's perfect!!! No worries about the string coming off the slot, it's really held tightly.

So that's one of the Jazzes sorted, with a string spacing of 20-21mm, and I love it!

Thank you, Fat Rich and KiOgon for pointing me towards these bridges.
I suspect that the Badass II on my Japanese 75RI will soon be for sale... :)