Why become a member? ×

What 3 Bands Did You USED to Think Were Great?

Lowender

Queen. They were my sacrificial band. They pretty much made me interested in music but had to make way for other bands whom I found so much better when I started exploring. I can't listen to them now. I find May's guitar tone ghastly and Mercury's singing grating.

That's that said, then.

Cream, and by extension Eric Clapton and Derek and the Dominoes (does that count as 3 right there?). Way back when I was a massive EC and Cream devotee too.
Queen, all a bit too vaudeville for me these days.
Lynyrd Skynyrd, too many bad covers of Sweet Home Alabama and overexposure to Freebird.

Same boring answer: Nope! Still love all the music from childhood and youth.
If hard pressed, I may remember that my fave Ekseption tracks back then, now often are both cheesy and tacky in my ears.
Still love old Ekseption though, and Focus, Supersister, King Crimson, The Beatles, Yes, Gentle Giant, Van der Graaf Generator, Zappa, etc. etc.

best,
bert

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360344278' post='1969095']
I used to think that Gerry & The Pacemakers were far better than The Beatles and that Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas version of Do You Want To Know A Secret was superior to the Fab Fours and that Freddie & The Dreamers could wipe the floor with The Kinks.

When i reached the age of eleven i realised that these three groups were maybe not as good as i once thought they were. :rolleyes:
[/quote]
I take that all back. I've just played my Billy J Kramer & The Dakotas LP and they WERE better that The Beatles. :happy:

There are bands that I didn't used to like but do now.
But there is nothing I used to to like but have stopped liking. If anything has given me joy, I still love it

However...I will admit to pretending to like stuff in order to look cool, whereas in actual fact I would really rather not sit down and listen to a whole album's worth.
Soft Machine leaps to mind.
And Magazine.

No, not really. Never been a "scenester" and liked music because I thought I had to. I had a deeply un-cool collection when I was at high school but had some bold statements. I still love all of the stuff I own on vinyl and CD and that I don't own but hear on the radio. It's not a competition to be cool. That leads to retarded choices in taste that you allow yourself to be bullied by.