Why become a member? ×

"The Beatles!"

gsgbass

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360431265' post='1970356']
And there are jazz musicians who don't even take Albert Ayler seriously, but okay, I'll play.
[/quote]
Okay. i'll play as well.

There were some musicians, journalists and fans that didn't take Charlie Parker, John Coltrane, Eric Dolphy, Ornette Coleman, Archie Shepp, Miles Davis and Max Roach seriously so not sure what being taken seriously actually means.

[quote name='EssentialTension' timestamp='1360431754' post='1970369']
It may well have shifted a few more LPs, I wouldn't dispute that at all, but your claim has changed from the first post quoted above to the second post quoted above.
[/quote]
I can't see how it's changed at all.

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1360428710' post='1970270']
I have not said I don't like the Beatles, nor have I said they weren't a big influence to a lot of modern day music. What I have said is I don't believe the Beatles changed all music and musicians as your original statement tried to say. I also never said that nothing was around before the Blues or Classical music, I do believe you said that.
All I am saying is yes the Beatles were a good band but, come on, they didn't change everything that ever happened in music after 1963, as per your comments.
[/quote]

Are you confusing me with someone else? I've not suggested you did or did not say all those things and I don't recall saying The Beatles changed everything that ever happened after 1963.

Can you show me where I said the things you ascribe to me?

[quote name='bigd1' timestamp='1360431370' post='1970358']
I don't think that can possibly be put down as 1 band or composer, music is too big a thing, everybody who listens, plays or performs music has an influence.
To say 1 band etc is responsible for the music we listen to today is unrealistic. Music is a very personal thing, one persons moving piece of music is another persons flat durge. Just open you ears, and have a listen !
[/quote]

You're dodging. It doesn't have to be one person or one band. Just [i]A[/i] person or band. Surely you understand that certain people are major influences, no?

Edited by Lowender

Beatles tunes and jazz musicians have resulted in some shockingly bad jazz :lol:

A lot of Beatles tunes on jazz albums are commercial decisions made by misguided producers. I don't want to generalise but (will) most examples of jazz plus Beatles tunes are less than the sum of their parts.

[quote name='Bilbo' timestamp='1360433589' post='1970425']
Beatles tunes and jazz musicians have resulted in some shockingly bad jazz :lol:

A lot of Beatles tunes on jazz albums are commercial decisions made by misguided producers. I don't want to generalise but (will) most examples of jazz plus Beatles tunes are less than the sum of their parts.
[/quote]
I've no dispute with that.

[/quote]

I actually agree with that. But it has nothing to do with the quality of the music. 1940's pop music simply has better changes to improvise over. I don't hear too many people blowing over the changes to the 5th symphony, that doesn't mean it isn't as good as "Bye, Bye, Blackbird."

Edited by Lowender

[/quote]

All of which is not particularly pertinent to how the discussion has gone on. The Beatles are cited as a major influence on music, if they weren't why would Jazz musicians bother covering a band's material whose impact was negligible? If was just to shift 'units' then it would demonstrate the weakness of the genre.

I'm not a great fan of the Fab Four despite joining the screaming hoards (i wasn't screaming by the way) that used to swamp Twickenham Film Studios when they were filming there in the 60s. Also saw Ringo filming in the Turk's Head in Twickers and still having a collection all those 60s bubble gums cards.

Despite all this.........This Is How They Always Sound....................To Me

http://youtu.be/trNOw9XMV8s

Edited by BetaFunk

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360433623' post='1970427']
???That makes no sesne. Are you being obtuse on purpose?
[/quote]
No not deliberately.

This has been a fun topic. It shows how passionate about music we all feel and we're never always going to agree.

The Mozart thing was just thrown in because he really was a genius. I don't think anyone can compare with his genius and the influence he had on music.

[/quote]

That may well be the case, but it's still an indication of their influence and it's not their fault if jazzers played shockingly bad versions of their songs - perhaps they were too complex for them? ;) :lol:

Whether you like The Beatles or not, the simple fact is that Lennon & McCartney wrote songs covered by more artists than any other writers. Songs that have been covered by artists in: Jazz, Rock, Folk, Classical, Pop, Country, Reggae... in fact, you name the genre, and you can bet a 'superstar' of that genre will have done a Beatles song. There's no law that says that you have to like The Beatles, but...
[size=5]over-rated?... my ar*e![/size]

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360434428' post='1970454']
No not deliberately.

This has been a fun topic. It shows how passionate about music we all feel and we're never always going to agree.

The Mozart thing was just thrown in because he really was a genius. I don't think anyone can compare with his genius and the influence he had on music.
[/quote]
Mozart may well have been a genius and it may well be the case that no one can compare with his genius and he may well also have had a massive influence on the development of music.

However, his audience has been tiny compared to the audience of The Beatles.

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1360434808' post='1970464']
Whether you like The Beatles or not, the simple fact is that Lennon & McCartney wrote songs covered by more artists than any other writers. Songs that have been covered by artists in: Jazz, Rock, Folk, Classical, Pop, Country, Reggae... in fact, you name the genre, and you can bet a 'superstar' of that genre will have done a Beatles song. There's no law that says that you have to like The Beatles, but...
[size=5]over-rated?... my ar*e![/size]
[/quote]
Give me The Rubettes any day :)

Ah, the bi-monthly 'try and disparage the Beatles' thread! Love these.

[u]Overrated.[/u] A statement you can try for the rest of your life to try and pin on the Beatles but totally, totally false. They, George Martin and a number of other key players including engineer Geoff Emerick helped define what popular music was for almost every other band since, directly or indirectly, there have been countless books written on it and it will continue to be true forever.

That does not mean that there were not other bands and people who should be discounted in any way as influential, the Beach Boys in the U.S if we're talking the same era in particular but like it or lump it/like them or lump them, they are the biggest thing to have happened to popular music in the course of the 20th century, they profoundly changed the game for everyone.