Why become a member? ×

"The Beatles!"

gsgbass

Look, I accept I'm in danger of coming over like a troll, I'm not trying to, and truly am trying to understand the extent of the excitement Beatles influence etc etc

So given the last few posts are we saying that no you'd generally be considered a bit daft if you thought that either every individual composition of the Beatles was better than every individual item produced by Motown? Or that I'm a loon for thinking that this cant be right?

I just want to understand what the consensus is amongst the Beatles lovers....

What about post Beatles vs post Motown?

Most people seem to suggest that the Beatles output was more than the some of its parts, and that the individual members solo work was not as good, by the same token a lot of people would have you believe that the ex Motown stable artists often produced their best work outside of Motown (Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye - admittedly still at Motown he was on thin ice with Whats Going On).

Again I'm just interested in peoples opinions...

Or maybe I should just go away and think about eq and mics and stuff :D

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1360939053' post='1978703']
You have heard "Whats Going On" haven't you :blink:
[/quote]

Yup, a truly great album. Marvin had threatened to leave Motown unless he was given creative control over his music. Berry Gordy reluctantly agreed, tried to can the project when it overran in time and costs, but finally accepted it when it became hugely successful and the money started rolling in. Same story with "Songs in the Key of Life". You could almost argue these were great albums [i]despite[/i] being released on Motown, not because of it ;). Maybe Marvin and Stevie wanted to do something different to the "Motown sound" because of acts like the Beatles, who had split up by this time and moved onto other things.

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Motown, it's first golden age was probably the Detroit years between about '62 and '69 (the same time as the Beatles). But as has been said it was a huge team of writers and producers behind a large number great artists, plus the Funk Brothers adding some great musicianship to the mix. Most of these people were highly experienced older musicians who'd paid their dues for many years, as opposed to four lads from Liverpool in their 20s drawing from all sorts of influences but also seemingly pulling new ideas out of thin air. I'd happily compare Little Stevie Wonder to the Beatles but probably not Motown.

Edited by Fat Rich

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1360942381' post='1978777']...are we saying that no you'd generally be considered a bit daft if you thought that either every individual composition of the Beatles was better than every individual item produced by Motown? Or that I'm a loon for thinking that this cant be right?[/quote]

Sounds like Top Trumps to me. Now there's an idea... [size=1][off to Patent office][/size]

[quote name='51m0n' timestamp='1360942381' post='1978777']

Again I'm just interested in peoples opinions...

[/quote]

The Beatles vs Motown? IMO both are great bodies of work but I'd choose The Beatles because of the sheer variety. Motown seems more like an entire genre to me and, like any genre (well, most of them) they include some truly wonderful songs, but The Beatles are the winners, for me, because of their breadth.

[size=3]Damn. I wasn't going to be drawn into this topic again.[/size]

[quote name='hunt the shunt' timestamp='1360959996' post='1979221']
Lennon sang what he wrote, Macca sang what he wrote. They both donated songs to Ringo. George sang what he wrote.
[/quote]
I now have a vision of Ringo wandering the corridors of Abbey Road Studios shouting 'Songs For The Dru-mmer......Any-one Got Any Songs For The Dru-mmer' in a 1960s London newspaper street seller type accent.

[quote name='BassTractor' timestamp='1360959468' post='1979201']
Not interesting. But what's better: The Beatles or BetaFunk's avatar?
[/quote]
I could argue on my avatars artistic merit as to why it is better but in keeping with the way this thread seems to have gone ...........BECAUSE I SAID SO AND THEREFORE I'M RIGHT!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Edited by BetaFunk

Well.. as far as influence : I think I have an argument which you don't have. I'm Flemish speaking and I learned English through Beatles records (I sat down with the red and the blue double album and started typing and writing the lyrics down and looked up the words which I didn't understand).
I wouldn't have learned my English as quickly if they hadn't been around.
It may be very normal to you but imagine that The Beatles were a French band and you would have to learn that language to understand them, then you would be in my world.. Consider yourself fortunate that you had this amazing band which you were able to understand..I couldn't in the beginning.
I sang "Sheladooyeah yeah yeah"..

[quote name='wombatboter' timestamp='1360970870' post='1979392']
Well.. as far as influence : I think I have an argument which you don't have. I'm Flemish speaking and I learned English through Beatles records.[/quote]

Yeah, but you have frites, waffles, frikandel, bitteburgers, your chocolate and Palm beer.
You're still ahead!

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360968151' post='1979355']
I could argue on my avatars artistic merit as to why it is better but in keeping with the way this thread seems to have gone ...........[b]BECAUSE I'M RIGHT AND THEREFORE I SAID SO[/b]!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
[/quote]
Now it makes sense :)

[/quote]
:) :)

Consider yourself fortunate that you had this amazing band which you were able to understand..I couldn't in the beginning.
[/quote]

OMG! :blink:

Does that mean that all those middle aged women who sing "elb I nissabody, elb nodgist enabody, elbeye niddabody OOOOOOH" at me on a Saturday night are actually Belgian, not drunk? :shok:

;)

[quote name='icastle' timestamp='1360974736' post='1979458']

OMG! :blink:

Does that mean that all those middle aged women who sing "elb I nissabody, elb nodgist enabody, elbeye niddabody OOOOOOH" at me on a Saturday night are actually Belgian, not drunk? :shok:

;)
[/quote]

I thought you only played folk music?
Have you got a sideline as a karaoke DJ? :D

Well.. as far as influence : I think I have an argument which you don't have. I'm Flemish speaking and I learned English through Beatles records (I sat down with the red and the blue double album and started typing and writing the lyrics down and looked up the words which I didn't understand).
I wouldn't have learned my English as quickly if they hadn't been around.
It may be very normal to you but imagine that The Beatles were a French band and you would have to learn that language to understand them, then you would be in my world.. Consider yourself fortunate that you had this amazing band which you were able to understand..I couldn't in the beginning.
[/quote]
Don't worry we had problems like that too. I spent a lot of the late 60s trying to work out what Jacques Brel was singing about. Then it all became clear when Rod McKuen, Mort Shuman & Scott Walker recorded English versions of Brel's songs. Then i found out that some weren't actually exact translations and it all became very unclear again. :)

Edited by BetaFunk