Why become a member? ×

"The Beatles!"

gsgbass

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360767963' post='1976147']
Neither one way or the other tbh; I just fancied ropping in a "Citizen Smith" quote. :lol:
I hear a lot being said of Geddy Lee too on here, when I listen to him I don't hear anything remarkable, which probabaly entitles me to a place against the wall too, nor do I with Macca or many other bassists. But my guess would be that any one of them would be preferred to be seen as one element of the sum of the parts.
[/quote]

I hate to admit it but I agree on Geddy. He can play. He 's good, but nothing particularly original or amazing. In other words, nothing Entwistle and Squire and their imitators hadn't already done.

As for Mac -- this is what you're missing. It isn't his technical skill. Anybody playing for 2 years can play pretty much any of his bass lines. It's the COMPOSITIONAL skill. His ideas, voiceleading, phrasing, harmonic sense are all brilliant.

Now if you don't get it, you don't get it and it can't be explained so you do. It's a little like the intro to Beethoven's 5th . It's one of the most powerful musical statements the world has ever known. But somebody can say, "Eh, it's only 4 notes. I CAN DO THAT."

Edited by Lowender

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360769148' post='1976174']
I hate to admit it but I agree on Geddy. He can play. He 's good, but nothing particularly original or amazing. In other words, nothing Entwistle and Squire and their imitators hadn't already done.

[b]As for Mac -- this is what you're missing. It isn't his technical skill. Anybody playing for 2 years can play pretty much any of his bass lines. It's the COMPOSITIONAL skill. His ideas, voiceleading, phrasing, harmonic sense are all brilliant.

Now if you don't get it, you don't get it and it can't be explained so you do. It's a little like the intro to Beethoven's 5th . It's one of the most powerful musical statements the world has ever known. But somebody can say, "Eh, it's only 4 notes. I CAN DO THAT."[/b]
[/quote]

Not sure I like your school ma'am tone, but you are correct.

As for Mac -- this is what you're missing. It isn't his technical skill. Anybody playing for 2 years can play pretty much any of his bass lines. It's the COMPOSITIONAL skill. His ideas, voiceleading, phrasing, harmonic sense are all brilliant.

Now if you don't get it, you don't get it and it can't be explained so you do. It's a little like the intro to Beethoven's 5th . It's one of the most powerful musical statements the world has ever known. But somebody can say, "Eh, it's only 4 notes. I CAN DO THAT."
[/quote]

Geddy Lee is a brilliant bass guitarist . Yes , he drew on the influence of Entwisle and Squier , and not least of all Jack Bruce , but he developed his own unique style and approach to playing the bass . His agile , agressive and highly intellegent style has been inspirational to generations of bass players , and quite rightly so , just like Paul McCartney . They are both superb players , albeit in very different styles . I don't subscribe to the idea of Paul McCartney being a simplistic player either . If you listen to some of his work more closely he is capable of all kinds of clever twists and turns in his the choices he makes in those basslines . I agree with you wholheartedly though , that Maccas' genius lies in his compositional skills .

Geddy Lee plays some very complicated bass lines, plays keyboard sounds with his feet, reverses the roles when needed and sings lead vocals in a fantasticslly successful three piece band that have sold millions of albums worldwide and are still packing out stadiums nearly forty years on !!! I'd say that qualifies himm as a somewhat successful basdist in my book. He also seems like a bloody nice guy as well.

Apart from your made up "fact" about Bach, you being more a troll than contributing or being unable to interpret dialogue.

As you've already proved in your tantrum Jaco non-thread and subsequent replies, despite having it pointed out to you by other BCers, most of your almost-to-be-100 posts haven't been that helpful.

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360787028' post='1976603']
As you've already proved in your tantrum Jaco non-thread and subsequent replies, despite having it pointed out to you by other BCers, most of your almost-to-be-100 posts haven't been that helpful.
[/quote]
Please don't knock the Jaco non-thread as it's my favourite BC moment. :P

[quote name='BetaFunk' timestamp='1360794863' post='1976792']
Please don't knock the Jaco non-thread as it's my favourite BC moment. :P
[/quote]

Now it's been resurrected and born again hard in a way that Jesus would be proud of.
[i](That reads better if you do it in a Gunnery Sergeant Hartman voice)[/i]

[quote name='Big_Stu' timestamp='1360787028' post='1976603']
Apart from your made up "fact" about Bach, you being more a troll than contributing or being unable to interpret dialogue.

[/quote]

Nice try. Maybe if you're more indignant you can make your drivel sound less inane.

[/quote]
I'm a big Beatles and Macca fan, with regards to his bass playing I wouldn't say his voiceleading etc are brilliant. They are just good. In relation to what was going on in White Pop it was brilliant but with regards to bass in a musical sense it's pretty basic, good, but basic. He was a cute player and i don't mean cos of his chubby cheeks and floppy hair!

With regards to this thread will it ever end..............tomorrow never knows.....wahay...see what i did there!

Edited by Lord Sausage

[quote name='Lowender' timestamp='1360795879' post='1976813']
Nice try. Maybe if you're more indignant you can make your drivel sound less inane.
[/quote]

Hey, you're on a roll! Come on, if you try hard you can maybe make your 100th post a worthwhile one! It'd be an acheivement ........ for you.

In an attempt to get the thread back on track..............

I've just dusted off the 5 CDs and one vinyl album I own by The Beatles & they are...........

Hard Days Night (vinyl) which I bought because i love the harp on "Should Have Known Better".

Sgt Peppers (can't remember)
Mystery Tour (Penny Lane - for a painting I was working on)
The Blue GH 2xCd set (Get Back cos I love the bass tone & I like the bit in the film where they actually play live for a change)
Revolver (can't remember)
&
Abbey Road (for "Something" & "Here Comes The Sun")

I will also add that being mono (don't get excited, it's a reissue) the LP is excellent for setting up a t/t & speakers.

Now, I've got a bloody good hi-fi, it can pick up an ant farting on a good day, so someone in the know tell me what I should listen to (edit: or more to the point what I should be listening out FOR on the above) , because so far as I remember, apart from the tracks listed - none of the others on them [u][i]move [/i][/u]me...... man.

Speak now or forever hold your ..........
[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1360796955' post='1976838']..........peace.........[/quote]

Edited by Big_Stu

[quote name='SteveK' timestamp='1360796955' post='1976838']
Fab factlet:
John Lennon wrote many songs about peace and love :( :unsure:
[/quote]

Are you googling these or are you like a font of factlets? :)

Well I just made this 22 pages long..

Edited by Myke

[quote name='Myke' timestamp='1360799693' post='1976888']
Are you googling these or are you like a font of factlets? :)

Well I just made this 22 pages long..
[/quote] ;)
Font of Fab Factlets!... try saying that after a beetroot shandy :unsure:

OK, I know this thread is on its last legs, but it does occur to me that perhaps many of those that deny The Beatles level of influence are possibly those very same people that will sigh whenever Macca's on the box, saying, "Oh, look at that smug, arrogant p**ck... and look, Jeez, he's doing that f***in' peace sign again... twat!"
I think it's likely that Sir Paul's more recent offerings, appearances, TV broadcasts and inevitable accompanying interviews, has effected their appreciation, of anything that [i]'that smug, arrogant p**ck[/i]' may have ever done. Even in this thread there has been the odd post started along the lines of, [i]I can't stand Paul McCartney...[/i], and then the poster has gone on to state why he thinks The Beatles are overrated.
I wonder if Sir Macca had died in a bizarre boating accident 20 or 30 years ago if the tone of this thread may have been a little different. :unsure:

Fab factlet:
As of Sunday, Sir Paul (Macca) McCartney is the proud( :unsure: ) recipient of his 17th Grammy award...
but you lot knew that already. :)