Why become a member? ×

Jazz bass... in series?

MiltyG565

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1360448584' post='1970757']
So yeah, i've just got my OLP (Which shall be known as a MiltyMan from now on) all wired up and screwed together. So since my jazz bass was sitting in several bits already, i decided while i was at it, i'll stick some new pots on (500k CTS, instead of the 250k unbranded ones that came with it)... and then i also decided to wire it in series.

It's wired and all. But the pot change was awkward, more on that in a little minute. Have any of you ever wired you jazz bass in series? what do you think?

Oh sh*t, i just thought... one of the pickups is reverse wound, isn't it? will that affect things?

Anyway, the pots. It turns out that the control plate had mini pots (GRRR)... and the pots that i had were regular sized ones. Ah well, they should still fit in the cavity. So i tore on. Took off the old volume pots, wire the - and + together, put the new pots on and... they didn't fit in the holes of the original pots. I drilled them out. Top job. Screwed the pots in, and once again, the control knobs didn't fit!

Why do you do this to me, God, why!?

Anyway, here's what i'm thinking now- since the control plate is all scratched up anyway, i want to put a black one on. Not just black... MATTE black B)

And of course that then means that ALL the hardware has to be matte black (including the pick guard), so now this has gone from a simple upgrade, to a full blown project. I should also be getting another neck for it soon.

This bass will be the epitome of cool when it's done, just wait :D
[/quote]

Black is the new black, do it! :lol:

I have tried the series combo in my Jazz. It's a pretty fat tone that one. I find it more useable than the usual parallel configuration, but the output is noticeably higher, so that might be a problem. Or not.

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1360795254' post='1976801']

Black is the new black, do it! :lol:

I have tried the series combo in my Jazz. It's a pretty fat tone that one. I find it more useable than the usual parallel configuration, but the output is noticeably higher, so that might be a problem. Or not.
[/quote]

Not a problem, my pickups aren't very hot at all.

So they won't be out of phase?

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1360452802' post='1970819']
But being out of phase would just mean they sound slightly out of phase? it sounded like that already.
[/quote]

like lettsguitars said... if they are out of phase, you WILL know. It would sound extremely thin and weedy and no bottom end at all, compared to each pickup by itself.

If that happened... just swap the two wires (on one of the pickups only, obviously ;))

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1360796429' post='1976827']
Yes :)

Do it already! :lol:
[/quote]

Ah, well now, i will, but see, i need to get a new neck, and get black parts for this bass. Could be a while before i actually get this one done, because of the other build i have planned!

I was told recently that i should be a bass/guitar tech... I said that would be fine, if everyone wants their pickups wired wrong :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1360800859' post='1976901']
Listening to your songs... On the one with the envelope filter at the start. I laughed :D That intro bit is just brilliant, but a bit funny.
[/quote]

You know what? It was supposed to be a silly melody once during a practice... but one of the guys said "oh! oh! oh! play that again!" and... they incorporated it into a new song.

Lesson: only play it if you mean it! :lol:

I utterly dislike that song. I hate it. We have much better than that and this one was chosen to be recorded... :facepalm:

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1360801313' post='1976910']
You know what? It was supposed to be a silly melody once during a practice... but one of the guys said "oh! oh! oh! play that again!" and... they incorporated it into a new song.

Lesson: only play it if you mean it! :lol:

I utterly dislike that song. I hate it. We have much better than that and this one was chosen to be recorded... :facepalm:
[/quote]

Hey, don't beat yourself up, music can be silly if you want it to be. After all, it is just expression of emotion, and you were obviously feeling silly :D

These songs bloody rock man! If you want to be touring through NI (or ballymena) around, oh, i dunno, january 5th 2014, i can for sure get you a gig :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1360801454' post='1976911']
These songs bloody rock man! If you want to be touring through NI (or ballymena) around, oh, i dunno, january 5th 2014, i can for sure get you a gig :D
[/quote]

Thank you and... NI sounds as good a place as any other to start the SBK world domination tour ;) Our calendar is still reasonably free around that date :P

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1360801747' post='1976916']
Thank you and... NI sounds as good a place as any other to start the SBK world domination tour ;) Our calendar is still reasonably free around that date :P
[/quote]

Great!

SBK- The world domination tour- Today; Ballymena. Tomorrow; THE WORLD!

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1360802461' post='1976928']
and you read it here first, ladies and gentlemen! :P
[/quote]

Me and my friend have like the SBK page. I liked it twice, because i have a facebook page :D

You should be really proud though, i genuinely really really liked the songs! Can't wait to hear more, or catch a live show! :D

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1360802698' post='1976931']
Me and my friend have like the SBK page. I liked it twice, because i have a facebook page :D

You should be really proud though, i genuinely really really liked the songs! Can't wait to hear more, or catch a live show! :D
[/quote]

Thank you! :) I'm so proud I can't sleep tonight! :P
Recordings are ok, but you should really see us live, if you liked what you heard... ;)

[quote name='mcnach' timestamp='1360815152' post='1976975']
Thank you! :) I'm so proud I can't sleep tonight! :P
Recordings are ok, but you should really see us live, if you liked what you heard... ;)
[/quote]

I can't sleep either, funny enough! I've actually just decided to stick with it for the long run and got myself coffee. Hopefully i'll get my second wind in the late morning :D

I intend to see you live :)

You wouldn't happen to be particularly knowledgeable about electronics? Trying to solve the great mystery of how i will wire my JazzyMan.

[quote name='MiltyG565' timestamp='1360817517' post='1976978']
I can't sleep either, funny enough! I've actually just decided to stick with it for the long run and got myself coffee. Hopefully i'll get my second wind in the late morning :D

I intend to see you live :)

You wouldn't happen to be particularly knowledgeable about electronics? Trying to solve the great mystery of how i will wire my JazzyMan.
[/quote]

and see us live you must!

electronics? not really. I can just about follow a diagram. I'm just a keen solderer, and as a skint student I discovered that modifying the electronics of guitars was a pretty cheap way to entertain myself and change the sound of my guitar... so I have tried many many things, most of which were not better than the standard wiring in most instruments ;)

When I did the series thing in a Jazz, I wired a push/push pot for tone, and used the switch for series/parallel switching. I got the diagram somewhere online. Probably "guitarnuts", as they have a lot of basic but good mods (one I always do on a strat is move the tone control from middle to bridge pickup, extremely simple but cool, and I vary the cap value to focus more on the midrange... also adding a "always on" switch to a strat to allow the bridge and neck pickups mix... series/parallel is just another of the simple mods you can find there. Have a look)