Why become a member? ×

Mark King

marcus bell

Mark King is a master of bass. So is JJ Burnel, so is Kev Hopper, so is Chris Squire, so is.................
These guys took the shape of bass and rearranged it.
So is Huge Hopper, so is Lemmy, so is Macca, so is geddy, so is Richard Sinclair, the one who stops me in my tracks.

[quote name='JTUK' timestamp='1375884828' post='2166921']
Always comes across as a top guy in interviews that I have seen... and he is such a musical player.
There is sheer technique and then there is musicality to take it to the next level...he has loads of both, IMO.
[/quote]

Im assuming by the "musical player" comment that you aren't talking about Lemmy :lol:

• 11 years later...

zombiethread100x120.jpg.2bb3e99e793f33d6054b2378426594d9.jpg

Yup, another blast from the past :lol: 

MK is well known for his involvement with the Prince's Trust concerts, with Level 42's members often acting either individually or entirely as a backing band for the various artists. Here is an absolutely wonderful song from the 1989 gala, with MK acting as MC and bassist. The whole song is fabulous, but oh my god the sublime 16th note run at 4:29 gives me goosebumps. Quite reminiscent of Rhythm Stick, just glorious.  

Edited by Rich
  • Like 4

• Rich changed the title to Mark King
On 07/08/2013 at 15:16, dave_bass5 said:

There is sheer technique and then there is musicality to take it to the next level.

This. Sure he can slap like a demon, but he writes very musical tunes and is also a great singer AND entertainer. MK is totally the real deal. 

• Like 1

I met Mark King outside a venue near Hereford in (I think) 92. I was there with two friends from work to see Level 42 and we were parking just as the tour bus arrived. The two young ladies I was with were shy but I went up to him and asked for his autograph 'for the two shy girls'. As the rest of the band made their way inside, he stayed and chatted to my two friends and I in a way that put them at ease. Great bloke. Ok bassist too! 😀

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Delberthot said:

Why not continue a thread about Mark King in a Mark King thread so that all info regarding Mark King is contained in a single Mark King thread?

Mark King, Mark King

And once more for the lads, Mark King 😁

....and I'll be "markking" that quote down for use later. 😇

19 hours ago, Mickyk said:

Thread resurection from 11 years ago,why not just start a new thread.

Because...

4 hours ago, Delberthot said:

Why not continue a thread about Mark King in a Mark King thread so that all info regarding Mark King is contained in a single Mark King thread?

...this. Obvious really.

• Haha 2

Not much has happened in the last 11 years.

One Level 42 Album in 2013.

A couple of awards.

One Album in 2017 with supergroup Gizmodrome.

Level 42 are playing in London in November and last week at Bestival.

Edited by TimR

A little bit more than the above has happened in the last eleven years.

2013–present: "Sirens" EP series and re-engagement with contemporary dance pop

[edit]

On 20 and 21 September 2013, Level 42 (joined by an expanded brass section), performed three new songs at London's Indigo O2 Arena – "Where's Yo' Head At", "Too Much Time", and "Sirens". All of these appeared on the band's first new release for seven years, the six-song studio EP "Sirens" (released on 31 October 2013, and the first output from the band's new self-owned label Level 42 Records). Mixed by the American DJ John Morales, the EP also contained "Mind On You", "My Independence Day" and "Build Myself a Rocket" (with King's daughter Marlee providing the backing vocals on the last of these tracks). Musically, it built on the production approach of Retroglide while allying the band with contemporary developments in R&B and dance electronica.

On 3 December 2013, the band announced 'The Sirens Tour' – a 30 date tour, starting in October 2014 and taking in the UK, Netherlands, Germany and Italy. In the summer of 2014, the band performed at a number of festivals across Europe including headline performances at Let's Rock Bristol and Rochester Castle. They also played at Rewind festivals. At a performance in Bournemouth, ex-drummer Gary Husband returned due to Pete Ray Biggin being unavailable.[citation needed]

In 2015, the band appeared at a number of UK and European festivals headlining at 'Let's Rock The Moor' and 'Carfest' concerts. They also played two nights at the Indigo2 in London where the band once again featured a larger brass section consisting of Dan Carpenter (trumpet) and Nicol Thomson (trombone) as well as regular saxophonist Sean Freeman.

In 2016, Level 42 performed at a number of festivals across the UK and Europe as well as in Curaçao, Chile and Argentina before embarking on a UK, Netherlands and Scandinavian tour in order to promote the "Sirens II" EP.

On 1 May 2019, it was announced that Boon Gould had been found dead at his home in Dorset. He was 64.[18]

On 4 July 2019, Level 42 made a rare North American incursion, being the band to perform the first concert to launch the week long Festival d'été de Québec (Quebec City Summer Festival).

Then since the Pandemic...They did what most working musicians do...Gig and tour (a lot).

:D

Level 42 Gigography, Tour History & Past Concerts – Songkick

• Like 2

11 hours ago, lowdown said:

A little bit more than the above has happened in the last eleven years.

That's a lot of words to say they released an album 11 years ago and did some tours and festivals. 😂

On 22/08/2024 at 15:58, lowdown said:

That whole '89 PT concert was great; Mark King and Gary Husband were on fire that night.

I seem to remember 'Breakout' with Corinne Drewery with the house band being particularly good as well.

It's a good shakeup of Breakout - although Corinne and Andy however, apparently are not fans of it...?

I love that version of Breakout - I even did a lock down cover of it with a group of friends which for a short while, did quite well on the old Youtube (in terms of views)... and then just stalled.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EBS_freak said:

Talking of the horns, even got an acknowledgement from Mr Niles himself in the comments - 

Excellent version. Very well played and sung by all!!

I also saw Richard's acknowledgement over on YouTube as well - (He's a top, top arranger).

:D