Why become a member? ×

FS: Squier Bullet Bass early 80's - SOLD Pending

Bungie

Hi Folks,

In my pursuit of a nice shorscale bass I recently travelled half way across the country to buy what was advertised as a shortscale Squier Bullet bass, only to discover when I got there that the numb youth selling it had used a library photo of a shortscale and that in actual fact it was a longscale. Rather frustrating, but the build quality of this thing was so good I bought it anyway.

I did a lot of research on Bullet Basses, which were only made for a short period in the early to mid eighties in the USA, then Japan and latterly Korea. They are indeed very mysterious (there is lots of contradictory info about them on the net) and appear to have been made from anything that Fender had lying around at the time, ranging from naff plywood bodies through to really quality kit. Dating them with any consistency is really tricky. What they all seem to share are those superb early eighties Japanese necks! So to this one which is totally original.

Serial number: E700499 which dates it to 1984-87 built at the Fugijen factory in Japan. However, some of the early Korean ones had an E1 serial number, but were also marked as 'Made in Korea'. This one isn't, but neither does it have a 'Made in Japan' mark. I think this one will be a 1986/7 model and the very last of the Japanese ones before production moved to Korea. The early Jap ones has a Tele headstock and heel adjust truss.

The body is solid wood. It's heavy (the bass is 9.5 lbs on the scales) so I suspect it will be alder. It has contoured body recesses (which many didn't have, just being a simple slab body). Size wise it is the same size as my Precision, but has the stubby top horn of the Bullet bass. This one also has the full size Precision pup, which is loud and punchy and very mellow. Some had a Mustang pickup fitted, which are supposed to be a bit thin.

The neck is to die for. It's one of those super slim 80's Jap necks, but standard Precision width. It has a lovely slab rosewood board and skunk stripe. The truss rod adjuster is at the head end and is working nicely. The bass is set up with a nice low action and there is no fret wear. The Bullets also have some quite unique elephant ear tuners.

Overall condition is great, with just the right amount of vintage mojo. The body has various little marks, dinks and scratches around the edges. When you pick this bass up, it oozes quality, which is surprising because they were initially marketed as a budget bass, but if you got lucky, you got one made from really good bits like this one. I had a JV Squier precision for a while and would hold this in comparison any day.

Why am I selling it?

Well, it's not a shortscale. I have various longscale basses and this one wont get played. I was going to keep it, but I have just managed to source a Musicmaster, so funds need replenishing.

For sale only at a vintage rarity bargain price of £200 OVNO.

I'm York based, but happy to discuss postage.

Cheers, Neil

Edited by Bungie