Why become a member? ×

Mesa feedback

Hello chums,

Am pondering a dream mini rig.

One obvious set-up is Mesa powerhouse 15 with matching 210 on top. However, one config I have never tried would be a 212 single cab. With beefiness of Mesa gear a single 410 could be considered, but a bit too bulky than the individual size of 15 & separate 210's. what thinks ye? Please reply f you actually tried most of these or any mesa's. I've been playing 30 years so am after specific Mesa experienced.

Hi
I have owned quite bit of Mesa gear over the years.
I used to run a Mesa 400+ through a 1516 cab, then a powerhouse 4x10. Both sounded great but were a bit difficult to move around, especially the 1516.

I then moved to my current rig a Mesa M6 and powerhouse 2x12, 4ohm version with adjustable tweeter. I much prefer the sound of the 2x12.

This rig is awesome, I use it from small pubs to large halls. I also used it last year for a few outdoor summer gigs with no pa support, it had no trouble cutting through and could be heard clearly all around the venue.

I also use this cab with my Orange Terror when i want a bit more of a distorted sound, it's the best pairing i have tried with this head.

cheers

thebassman

I wasn't a fan-alway's used Ampeg or Marshall, for the most part. (Though i did have a 400+ that was too big and scary for a young me, so sold it on quick)
Then I moved to the other side of the world-far away from my beloved monster rigs! Then a wonderous thing happened-I got lucky and got an old Ampeg SVT III and 410HE for about 400quid-bargain i thought. Great set up-perfect for what I needed.

Well it had barely been in the house three days when i saw an ad from online auction site, from a chap wanting to downsize from his Mesa rig. sounded good so I arranged to go have a look and shortly afterwards I left his place with a Mesa MPulse 600 and Powerhouse 8x10 in (fetching silver)- a straight swap too! chuffed!!!
Now the even better bit-I LOVE MESA!!!!!! I am a total convert! Have since got the matching 2x10 and 4x10 cabs and watching a deal on a 6x10 (though not mad about the cream tolex). I have never tried the 15 but I have heard one at a gig- sounded like a 15 should-fat! I am counting down to the day when i can get an all-valve Mesa head down here (for recording) to sit on top of my awesome cabs!
The Powerhouse cabs sound effin' big and very punchy. Really tight and focused. The 8x10 is the most muscular-sounding cab I've ever heard. They sound even better when the amp is EQ'd perfectly. Only downside is the weight. The 8x10 is easily a two man lift (hence why the guy got rid of it) and the 2x10 is an awkward lump of cab, given it's size. Also the handles are in a funny location on the sides IMO.
That said, I hope Mesa never change anything about the series (except maybe the weight) -they rule! simples!

I hope this influences your decision for the better :)

Can't disagree with the above. As you can see I don;t have any lightweight Boogie stuff but then I'm daft enough to consider carting my rig around for the sound I get out of it a price worth paying.

Used Mesa gear for almost 25 years and have no desire to change. These things are always subjective but, for me, there's nothing better.

Great guys thanks. I already have a classic 15 road ready mesa. (Like macca's). Super light and stunning sound. I need a new speaker though 'cos my Alembic super filter killed it!! I tried a 210 and it sounded fab but xlr Eden very very similar quality. Current ideas: (all mesa):

15 & 210

610 (810 just too unrealistic to shidft. Conceptually perfect)

The all n 1 15/410 is beefy and compact

[quote name='thebassman' timestamp='1361262721' post='1983474']
Hi
I have owned quite bit of Mesa gear over the years.
I used to run a Mesa 400+ through a 1516 cab, then a powerhouse 4x10. Both sounded great but were a bit difficult to move around, especially the 1516.

I then moved to my current rig a Mesa M6 and powerhouse 2x12, 4ohm version with adjustable tweeter. I much prefer the sound of the 2x12.

This rig is awesome, I use it from small pubs to large halls. I also used it last year for a few outdoor summer gigs with no pa support, it had no trouble cutting through and could be heard clearly all around the venue.

I also use this cab with my Orange Terror when i want a bit more of a distorted sound, it's the best pairing i have tried with this head.

cheers

thebassman
[/quote]

Agree on the 2x12.
I tried a carbine combo + another(with no amp installed) sounded absolutely fantastic.Meaty,warm,fast attack and just huge.That was in other words 2pcs of 2x12 though.
As I understand those 2x12's are similar to(or the same as) powerhouse 2x12 cabs.