Why become a member? ×

Problems with Orange Terror Bass and Jack Casady Bass

Fortunate Son

Hi,

New to the forum and having a bit of trouble with my set up, looking for some advice!

I play an Epiphone Jack Casady Bass and have recently purchased an Orange Tiny Terror Bass 500 and 2 Orange SP210's. The head is set to 4ohms, with the 2 speakers Im getting the full 500 Watts.

However, when Im running the amp at volume, my bass starts humming and feeding back.

Is this because its a hollow body bass? (I don't have a problem running it at volume on other, albeit solid state, amps).

I've been recommended filling/padding the centre of the bass with foam. Would this solve the problem?

My jazz bass gets a bit squealy (high pitched) at high volume. My PBass (with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders) seems to handle it ok.

Appreciate any help!

Cheers!

Hi, There are a number of problems listed here. But first off, if you are getting high pitched squealing from your Jazz bass, then there is an issue with the pickup. It's microphonic and needs to be repaired, probably "wax-potted", or replaced. When a pickup is microphonic it behaves more like a microphone than a pickup, so it will cause it to feed back at high volume or when you're near the speaker.

For the JC It is true that semi-hollow instruments are more prone to feedback, but I regularly gig a semi-hollow bass with a 600w amp and don't experience any feedback at all.
Do you use the Orange amp with the gain set very high? You can lower the gain and increase the master volume to tame a semi hollow bass sometimes. Those TB amps do have A LOT of gain in the preamp!