Why become a member? ×

Greetings from USA! What is your favorite Bass? And, what makes it so sentimental?

manonbass

[b]Greetings From USA Bass Chat Heads! My name is Jim and I am new to this site. I figured this topic would make for some interesting reading (& I was right). I got some great, happy, sad, strange, & interesting responces to this question on an Amercan Bassist website called "Ugly Bass Player", so I figured I would post the same question on a Bassist website across the pond. [/b]
[b]SO..., my question is... What is your favorite Bass? And, what makes it so sentimental? Not necessarily... why is it a badass bass, but why is it SPECIAL to you? Please tell your story![/b]

[b]So having said that, I started bass in my teens on a no name plywood piece of crap bass that felt like crap, & sounded like crap (I sounded like crap too). But the first REAL bass I bought in the 80's was a black Yamaha MBIII/Motion Bass Some call a shovel head cause it is shaped like a shovel, with 2+2 tuners. It really is a great, funky sounding bass & I will never get rid of it because I bought that bass (& my first real bass amp), using the $1000.00 my grandfather left me in his will, after he died from injuries he sustained in a house fire my drunken Uncle caused. Yah... made me pretty angry as an early teen & a sh*tty misfortune for my awesome Grandpa Milton. But the positive...my grandfather assisted me in doing what I loved. Now, I am still playing many years later (along with other string instruments) and now recording. I love you Grandpa Milton & I miss you! [/b]

Hey Jim,

Welcome to BC, where all the awesome, positive people are waiting for you to hang out with them!

Sadly, no-one here understands the question, except me. But if you ask it again, ask about people's favourite bass, and you'll be alright. ;)
(Seriously though, as not everyone reads the Introductions, you might wanna ask in the Gear -> Basses forum as well.)

I can answer though: I have no favourite bass, and there is no sentimentality about basses. To me, they're mere tools. Like with any other tool, I worship them and make love to them, but that's about it, really. Sorry to be a bore.

OK, just forget about me, and start enjoying the rest of the site.

best,
bert